This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mozilla Install Problem

HI, you'll have to forgive me, i've just started using Kubuntu so am a bit of a linux newbie. Anyway, after installing kubuntu on my laptop today i've realised that mozilla or firefox isn't included so i decided to try and install it myself. Anyway, everytime i try to run the installer from terminal i get the following error...

andrew@laptop:~/programs/mozilla/mozilla-installer$ ./mozilla-installer
    ./mozilla-installer-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    andrew@laptop:~/programs/mozilla/mozilla-installer$

I guess this means i don't have libgtk installed? Please help it is really important i get this working.

Thanks in advance.
    Andrew

Re: Mozilla Install Problem

what don't you, at a terminal:

sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox

Where are you getting the file from? It's in a Ubuntu repository so you shouldn't have to install it by hand.
    good luck

Comment

Both Mozilla and Firefox are in the repositories, so if you want the Mozilla suite, you can also
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install mozilla
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

tried it too but gives me this error

could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open
        unable to lock the administration directory /var/lib/dpkg

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
          Both Mozilla and Firefox are in the repositories, so if you want the Mozilla suite, you can also
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install mozilla

I don't know if i'm way off here but i'm using version 5.4 and don't have the adept package manager, i've looked in the list of packages in kynaptic and there is no mention of mozilla or firefox.

Just out of interest, is it possible to upgrade to the latest version of kubuntu via the command line?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X