This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"This driver is activated but not currently in use."

I believe I have a quality graphics card, EVGA GTX460, however not all media plays well. The card is 1gb of gddr5.

What does it mean that the card is activated but not currently in use? How do I get it currently in use?

Additionally after a fresh install of kubuntu natty, both monitors do not work. In Twinview they both worked during the last installation. Dual monitor problems was not the reason for re-installation of the OS. Only the primary monitor is currently recognised.

During the installation process, both monitors displayed the default wallpaper. When I booted after installation, only my primary monitor retained a signal, the secondary monitor remained black screen.
    Last edited by Shabakthanai; Apr 03, 2012, 02:58 PM. Reason: RESOLVED

Re: "This driver is activated but not currently in use."

From "Additionally afterr a fresh install.... to monitor remained black screen." was resolved from a posting about dual monitors, thanks to dibl.

Comment

Hi Shabakthanai...

If everything works properly, would you please mark this post as "solved" in the subject line? It is able to be edited in your first post.

Thanks...
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Just going through the forum entries and noticed one of my problems which had two parts to it. dibl suggested it had been fixed in a dual-monitor solution, however I do not believe that is the case.

At the time this problem occurred, I re-installed my OS and one of my monitors did not appear. In trying to solve the problem without help from the forum, I connected Kmenu>Applications>System>AdditionalDrivers to see if the drivers were installed properly with the new installation of the OS.

It is from that screen that I noticed the 'Subject: This driver is activated but not currently in use.' I have no idea what cured my dual monitor problem, it just started working again and has since that time without further problem.

I realise that most people do not have dual-monitors, and most people may not have mythtv in their systems, but I do and enjoy having the dual-monitors. Nonetheless, since I installed the second monitor, I have had video problems from time to time that has not been resolved using technical help on all occasions. It is like the gremlins that cause the problem get bored and leave, and the problems somehow solve themselves. I have given up trying to figure this conundrum out and just accept that sometimes either the computer fixes itself or that I have accidentally solved the problem while working perhaps on an unrelated issue. Only the shadow knows.

In any event, my computer seems to be working without video problems excepting in my installation of mythtv, even though when following the directions I gave, up above, to my video drivers, the problem here posted still exists. I am considering that the problem I am having in my mythtv installation may be caused by this inactivated but installed driver, and for that reason am addressing this post again.

Don, if you are reading this, thanks for your previous response on this matter. I don't think it was the resolution thought, so if you do, please redirect me to the specific solution. I did not see the answer in the dual-monitor posting. Maybe I just did not understand the solution. More probably that is the situation.

Comment

open a terminal, type dkms status

It's likely you don't have you headers installed so the driver cannot activate.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for responding. dkms is as follows:

steven@Yeshuah:~$ dkms status
            nvidia-current, 270.41.06, 2.6.38-13-generic, x86_64: installed
            nvidia-current, 270.41.06, 2.6.38-8-generic, x86_64: installed
            steven@Yeshuah:~$

If memory serves me, these are old drivers which were replaced a while back.

"It's likely you don't have you headers installed so the driver cannot activate." How do I do that?

Comment

That is the correct response from dkms, so the drivers are installed correctly. More likely the issue lies elsewhere. Start by reviewing your xorg log file at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if there are any warnings or errors. If you are not using an xorg.conf file, you will get more stable results by using one; it will override auto-detection and allow enhanced settings.

Please Read Me

Comment

The only Error Warning in /var/log/xorg.0.log is as follows:

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

Is this what 'NI' is referring to: "Use the NI Activation Wizard to obtain an activation code for your software. You can launch ... Activation codes are unique and are valid on only one computer."?

Comment

Working...
                X