This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No tool bar menu in Kubuntu 11.10

Hi There, I hope that someone can help me. Last week I installed Kubuntu 11.10 from a magazine CD onto my Asus x58l series laptop and was working lovely, then yesterday I noticed that now most of the application windows I open have no menu bar. (file edit tools) I am using firefox instead of Rekonq. Thank you in advance for any advice . Happy New Year To All

Re: No tool bar menu in Kubuntu 11.10

Welcome!

Verify that you have the package kde-window-manager installed. Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kde-window-manager
    If it isn't installed, it will be. If it is installed you'll see: kde-window-manager is already the newest version.

If it is reported as already installed, then do a reinstall:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall kde-window-manager
    Then shutdown/reboot. See if the issue is fixed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you, Going to try that now.

Comment

Is it just Firefox , or are other programs doing it also. If it's just FF, right-click on the tab bar (but not on a tab itself), and check on the space next to "Menu bar" and voila! a menu bar.
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

If you are talking about Dolphin/K3b/amarok etc Hit Ctrl+M to show/hide the menu bar. Had me stumped for some time.

With firefox, as bsniadajewski points out, you simply right click near the top of the application and you can turn the menu bar on and off.

Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice. The menu bar is missing in most apps but not libre office. I did try right clicking the top space to add menu and it shows up grey, then when I hit the ok, it goes blank again. I also tried the codes to check for windows manager by pasting into the shell but it will not accept my password for some strange reason.

Comment

All fixed now. I set the tools menu in another app and when I opened firefox.............there they were, all back on the menu bar (file edit view). Once again thank you for your help and support

Comment

Working...
              X