This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu / Intel newbie'ish' question...

Good morning folks, and a happy new year.

With the new year, I decided a new OS was in order, I tried a few distro's and settled upon Kubuntu. I am a fairly competent computer user but really only in Windows. I have created a bootable USB drive and installed Kubuntu on an external hard drive which I boot from (Until I am 100% certain that I want to go down this road, then I will install it locally).

My system is an Intel DH67CL motherboard (using the onboard graphics), an i5 2300 (Sandy Bridge), 8Gb Ram, 3 hard drives.

I installed Kubuntu to my external drive with no bother at all. The problem I'm having is with my graphics (at least, I think it is...).

When Kubuntu starts, the screen slowly refreshes - it goes black, then takes about 5 seconds to display the screen, rinse & repeat. Its difficult to do anything on the screen because its only whole for a few seconds at a time. To say it is frustrating would be an understatement.....

I have tried changing the refresh rate and resolution - changing it to 1900 x 1280 makes things slightly easier because the screen is 'bigger' (i.e. the text smaller) but the same happens.

I am new to Linux and have tried searching various forums but if I'm honest, its all a bit beyond me.

If someone was able to assist, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Kubuntu / Intel newbie'ish' question...

From what you say it's almost certainly the graphics.

If you boot the Kubuntu Live CD do you have the same problems?

With either the live CD, or the actual install if you can get it to work enough, post the output of
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Can you run the "Additional Drivers" app and see if there are any proprietary drivers suggested for your Intel video card?

I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me - oddly, the live CD seems to be fine and the 'additional drivers' doesnt find anything else to install.

I'll just run the code suggested, back in 5

Comment

I get:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)

Comment

I don't have that controller and I'm not aware of any special drivers for onboard Intel controllers. Maybe someone who has such a controller can advise.

Is your machine listed on this page: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller | Ubuntu? Also it can't hurt to look at this page: Intel Linux Graphics: Documentation

Did you run Additional Drivers from the physical install as opposed to the live CD? I think it should give the same results but it's worth checking.

You can try turning off desktop effects in System Settings > Desktop Effects (Alt-Shift-F12 by default).
          I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks again for the reply. I built the machine myself - its a desktop machine mainly used for media watching, surfing etc (hence the onboard graphics). I came across your second link previously but the method to install the drivers is lost on me - I just dont see what I have to install.

Yes, the additional drivers was run from the physical install - nothing found.

I'll try the desktop effects the next time I boot into it - cheers.

Comment

Hi @bowser4

I have simaler hardware (corei3 and Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller) and have had no issues with it and need no additional drivers for it.

you prob could be in power management ....... or the external HD may have some feature that turns it off if not being rote to or read from .....(I would suspect this)

but check in system settings>power management and look to see what the screen dimming is set for.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny - the external HDD settings is a strong possibility. I'll free up an internal drive and have a go there first. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Waddythink guys, is bowser another candidate for the xorg-edgers and intel-sna PPAs?

Comment

OK, quick update. Freed up a HDD and installed, same problem. Had a look through all the settings I could see, still nothing I'm afraid. Tried Mint as well - same problem.

Steve - not sure what you mean but I'm willing to try something!

Comment

check the monitor it's self for a dimming setting as well..........this is a strange one.

@SteveRiley is referring to experimental and enhanced drivers from a PPA and may be something to check into.
                      if no other solution comes.

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I just created a short guide for this in our How To section. Bowser, let us know how it works for you.

HOW TO: Install experimental X.Org and Intel graphics drivers

Comment

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a whirl and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                            Waddythink guys, is bowser another candidate for the xorg-edgers and intel-sna PPAs?
                            I believe so. We'll see what the results are when bowser reports back.

@bowser4: With Intel, I highly doubt you would see anything in Jockey offering additional drivers.

Regards...
                            Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                            How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                            PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71
                              With Intel, I highly doubt you would see anything in Jockey offering additional drivers.
                              All of Intel's drivers are open source. Only the non-Intel GMA500 graphics core in the Poulsbo chipset has lagged, but work continues to progress on getting it to operate.

Comment

Working...
                              X