X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Guidance Re-installing FireFox and checking my Kubuntu Version

Hiya,

I was wondering how one would uninstall and reinstall Mozilla Firefox because supposedly my Dad is unable to update it (I installed Kubuntu on his comp)

Also, how do I check my current version of Kubuntu? I always update when it tells me and want to make sure I'm up to date

Thanks for your help

-Al

Re: Need Guidance Re-installing FireFox and checking my Kubuntu Version

Both can be done from the Software Installer - which installer you have may vary depending on your version of Kubuntu, but likely either Kpackagekit or Muon.

Simply select any KDE package and the version number is in the info and package name (4.6.3 or something like that).

As far as Firefox, if it was installed using the Software Installer, you can remove and reinstall it there also.

Please Read Me

Comment

I remembered to use KPackageKit, but I can't identify Firefox

I search for mozilla firefox and just see a bunch of files and no uninstaller, so do I just do away with the whole lot?

Comment

Oh wait I'm dumb, I forgot that the kit shows you both what you have and what you can download at the same time

Comment

Yeah, just select the firefox stuff that is installed, and select "uninstall"

Please Read Me

Comment

Alright halfway there, thank you for your patience

Now what do I look for to install? It only offers Firefox 3.something and I know at least 9 is out

And I still don't know how to check my Kubuntu version >_<

Comment

Sorry, I mis-read and thought you wanted KDE version - open a terminal and type:

lsb_release -a

or open the file /etc/lsb-release to see your Kubuntu version.

For Firefox - I believe that 4 is the latest offically supported fFirefox version. If you want version 9:

Mozilla Firefox 9 should be available as a security update via official repository of Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal and Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, but if you do not want to wait for it, you can install it via PPA:

•sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa
              •sudo apt-get update
              •sudo apt-get install firefox

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx and Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat users can install Mozilla Firefox 9 by typing the following command:

•sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
              •sudo apt-get update
              •sudo apt-get install firefox

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you so much, I have Ubuntu 10.04 I see, do I need to reformat my HD to get 11.10?

UPDATE: Whoop I'll take this one over to that board, thanks for everything man I appreciate it, I'll mark this as solved as soon as I figure it out...

Comment

Working...
                X