This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driven insane by SANE(resolved)

Hi I originally posted a query about SANE in the Help the new guy four days ago so first let me apologise for re-posting here I have removed the original post and this contains additional information..
    This Was the original post.

Hi
    I'm trying (very trying at times) to get GIMP to Scan using a Canon 2700F film scanner but neither Gimp nor Kooka see it, They both see the USB flat bed, they display an incorrect name but work fine. From the Sane document I know that this scanner is supported by sane canon 5 backend. This scanner shows in KinfoCenter as Below

Attached devices
    Host scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
    Vendor: CANON   Model IX-27015C      Rev: 1.15
    Type:  Scanner               ANSI SCSI revision: 02

And my SCSI shows up correctly any suggestions at this point would be most wellcome

In the last four day I have been trawling the net looking for information, most of which is out of date and no longer applicable. the nearest thing to useful information comes from How to install a CanoScan 2700F on a Linux box ?

Here is the section that seems to apply earlier sections refer to compiling from source.

3. How to install SANE for the Canon 2700 film scanner ?
    --------------------------------------------------------

Add the "canon" scanner to the /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf file:
          -------- cut here ------------
          # enable the next line if you want to allow access through the network:
          #net
          pnm
          #mustek
          #hp
          #qcam
          #umax
          canon

Add a "canon.conf" file to the /usr/local/etc/sane.d directory:
          scsi CANON

Check the available scanners:
          scanimage -L
       This should give something like this:
          device `canon:/dev/sg0' is a CANON IX-27015C        film scanner
          device `pnm:0' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
          device `pnm:1' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device

My first problem is. Add the "canon" scanner to the /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf file:
    Can I take it that this is the /etc/sane.d/dll in the Kubuntu directory structure, if so should I create this .config file and should it have a name?
    Also Add a "canon.conf" file to the /usr/local/etc/sane.d directory: Again I assume that this is the /etc/sane/sane.d if so there is already a "canon.conf"file containing the following.

#canon.conf
    /dev/scanner
    #/dev/sg0

Should I just add the line scsi CANON  to it and if so is its position important?

The only components of SANE that are installed are Gimp2 Quteinsane, libsane, Python2.3-imaging-sane and Python2.4-imaging-sane is there any other components that I should install?

Sorry to have been so long winded any help will be much appreciated John.

Since this post I have tried the following added an  .config file to  /etc/sane.d/dll now the scanner goes through it calibration routine when Kubuntu loads so have limited result. However I edit the  "canon.conf"file I cannot get Kooka or Gimp to see this scanner. Just in case I even tried adding a directory /usr/share/sane/canon, copying the  "canon.conf"file there and trying every possible edit.
    If anybody has any links to any current information please post them.

Thanks John

I'm editing this post as it is now resolved, with much help and assistance from the sane_devel, in case anybody has the same problem.

1. create a file // /ect/sane.d/dll/.conf file to this cut and paste the text from above.
    2. Edit the // /ect/sane.d/canon conf as below.

#canon.conf
    scsi CANON
    #/dev/scanner
    #/dev/sg0

This is all a normall sane set up, but there is a bug in the current canon back end and the scanner will be found by sane find scanner but will not be found by scanimage -L (to run these you need to install sane utils) or any front end that you try to use to scan. The solution to this is to make sure to remove the slide carrier before booting up and once you have logged on run scanimage -L twice the canon scanner will not be found by the first run but will show up the second time you run it. Now you can replace the slide/neg carrier and all will now function normally. sane-devel have said that they will contact me with idiot proof instructions to build a bug free back end soon. If I manage to compile a bug free back end I will post in the software section
    3. If you still have a problem add a link by running the following from the consul.
    ln -s /usr/local/bin/xscanimage ~/.gimp/plug-ins I did not find this (nessasary)

Regards John

Re: Driven insane by SANE

I'm not sure I can help because I don't have a Canon scanner, but since nobody else has responded, I'll try my best. First, congratulations for being smart enough to buy a SCSI scanner, neither my USB flatbed or my USB film scanner work in Linux. It's the last vestige requiring me to keep windoze on my laptop. A perusal of the SANE website seems to indicate that for USB scanners, SANE stands for Scanner Access NOT Easy.

The instructions you found on the net obviously refer to a diifferent distro. On debian derived distros like Kubuntu, /etc/sane.d is the directory you want (as you correctly surmised). There is a dll.conf file in that directory and canon should be uncommented. It is in my file, and I dont even have a scanner attached to this computer. My system, like yours has a canon.conf file. It has two lines exactly like yours. My /dev directory, however, has no pseudofile named /dev/scanner. It does, however, have an entry called /dev/sg0. Accordingly, if I were you, I would try commenting out the line that says /dev/scanner and uncommenting the line that says /dev/sg0. The only thing in my /etc/sane.d/dll.d directory is a tiny file called hplip I don't understand the addition of a .config file to the .../dll.d directory, That wasn't mentioned in the instructions you posted, but it seems to have helped.

Comment

Re: Driven insane by SANE

Hi Al
      first thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply. Like you I also have a USB flat bed scanner but all I had to do to get that working was copy the firmware file to /usr/share/sane/gt68xx and it worked and is seen by Gimp and Kooka. The file I found under the title How to install SANE for the Canon 2700 film scanner ? is just copied from the cannon backend directory of the SANE tar.gz.
      I think my mistake may have been to install SANE when the scanner was turned off and therefor was not detected so I might try removing SANE components rebooting with the scanner on and reinstalling. The information on the SANE site is both out of date and confused at best, most of it dates from 1999.
      The only user group I can find for SANE is largely for developers so I do not think it would be appreciated if I posted there.

Thanks again for the assistance John.

Comment

Working...
      X