X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB error 22 issues

Hi,

Some time ago I installed Ubuntu to dual boot with Windows 7 which worked fine but after a while I decided I only needed W7. In my stupidity I deleted the partition with Ubuntu and since then the GRUB showed error 22.
    I have tried using FixMBR and Rescatux but none of them worked. I found out that I could boot W7 when I had the recovery CD in the CD-rom drive and was using this for some time.

As I'm only using my desktop for standard media, office etc (and not anymore for CAD etc) I decided to go for Linux again. I have successfully installed Kubuntu 11.10 and I thought it would overwrite the GRUB and or update it but I was wrong. Now I can only boot the distro from the live USB...

I have tried various things which I found on google but can't seem to fix it. Anyone here that has some advice?

I have following setup:

2 x HDD

- sda with one NTFS partition (contains backup) and one emty space (contained the previous Ubuntu and has been formatted)
    - sdb with one / partition and one /home partition. (both primary)

I believe the Grub is still trying to find the ubuntu installation in sda.

Re: GRUB error 22 issues

Assuming you installed from the liveCD/USB it should have installed GRUB properly.

Is it possible you've installed GRUB to the partition or to the second drive rather than the primary boot drive?

I am assuming you've install Kubuntu to /dev/sdb1.

You may be able to fix it this way:

Boot to the Live USB.
    Make sure you do not have any hard drive partitions mounted.
    Enter these commands in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo -s
    mount /dev/sdb1 /media
    sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media /dev/sda
    umount /media
    reboot

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X