This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Sporadic password prompts.

First off, the background. I'm a long-time Windows user that has just recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 on another partition. I disliked Unity, and "went shopping" for a new environment (right term?). I tried Gnome 3, and didn't like that either. Then I discovered KDE (by far the best) and used "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" to get it.

Things are working mostly fine aside from one annoyance: the system very rarely prompts for my password to do anything that needs authentication. Instead it just fails saying that authentication was not provided. In particular, the Muon updater or package manager can't do anything. The only time I've seen a password prompt is when starting the KDE Partition Manager or the system log viewer (KSystemLog).

Basically, if it doesn't need elevation to run in the first place, it will never ask for it.

I am a total noob at Linux. If anyone can give me some help, I'd really appreciate it.

Re: Sporadic password prompts.

...Then I discovered KDE (by far the best) and used "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" to get it...
    There seems to be some annoyances if you are installing the Ubuntu and then adding the Kubuntu desktop:

Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Installing polkit-kde-1 then logging out and back in seems to have solved the password prompt problem. Many thanks, OneLine, and happy holidays too.

How does this thread get marked "[RESOLVED]"? Do I do it, or is it a moderator thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Tr4nsi3nt
        How does this thread get marked "[RESOLVED]"? Do I do it, or is it a moderator thing?
        Just go the your first post in this thread and click on the modify button and just add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X