Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's up with 10.04 and "Unmanaged" network manager???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's up with 10.04 and "Unmanaged" network manager???

I thought the "Unmanaged" issue was fixed. I have an external Hard Disk Drive that I use to boot up Kubuntu 10.04 on public windows computers and it had been working fine, 'till I tried a machine at a 'net cafe' and I was booted offline and got the "unmanaged" status from network mananger.

I have read other posts on the subject that seemed to go nowhere. They mentioned editing a file that would NOT be written to, even as root.

I had the problem with an earlier 10.04 but I believe I have a 10.4.3 disk and it happened AGAIN!! All I could do in the past was reinstall Kubuntu >

I was just ready to drag my 8.04 box to someplace with internet access, in order to migrate to 10.04 but what would be the use if I can't ever get online with out constantly reinstalling?

The reason I'm using 8.04 & 10.04 is that they are LTS Long Term/Time Support versions. I planned to go to 12.04 in October 2012 so that most bugs would have been worked out...

Any relevant help please!?!?!?!

Re: PLEASE HELP!!!! What's up with 10.04 and "Unmanaged" network manager

PLEASE HELP

This is maddening! > I thought this problem was fixed.

Do I have to just keep reinstalling 10.04

Comment

Re: What's up with 10.04 and "Unmanaged" network manager

A lot of people apt-get purge nework-manager and install wicd for that purpose. Have you tried it?

Comment

Re: What's up with 10.04 and "Unmanaged" network manager

I did install package Wicd but did not yet remove Network-manager...

I found a fix that worked for the time being.

First I had to right click on the "Kickoff Application Launcher" and open Menu Editor.
        I copied the each item in the Kate entry, to make a "Kate (as root). Under the advanced tab I checked the option to run as a different user, ROOT. This never worked before in 8.04 nor an earlier release of 10.04.

doing alt + F2 and running kate as root didn't work either.

I opened my copied menu item for Kate (as root) and edited:
        Code:
         /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
        to change:
        Code:
        managed=false
        to
        Code:
        managed=true
        I also had to edit:
        Code:
        /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
        to:
        Code:
        NetworkingEnabled=true
        WirelessEnabled=true
        WWANEnabled=true
        Since I didn't recall how to restart the processes, I rebooted and got up and running, 'till the next bad shutdown.

Since I have Wicd installed, if I just remove package network-manager, will I be fine without missing a beat?

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X