This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu upgrade release procedures?

If you choose to upgrade to new releases as they happen can you upgrade Kubuntu via terminal? Or, do you need to do a complete iso install every 6 months?

Thanks.

Re: Kubuntu upgrade release procedures?

You can upgrade via the GUI or in a terminal. Many people advocate for fresh installs, many of us just upgrade from one release to the next, some of us for years.

Comment

As ronw said. Many will just do a upgrade. The thing to remember if you do that is to backup what you want. That way if there is a issue, you will be covered.

You can upgrade by sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

As I said though, please make sure you backup your data. Nothing worse than doing it and having something go wrong and what you needed is now lost.

Comment

In either case, it's good operating practice to have /home on a separate partition. This will prevent data loss in most cases.

Also, since linux in general takes up very little hard drive space, I advocate a parallel install methodology. Simply put - have partitions reserved for two installs.

Prior to an install upgrade, make a full working backup of your current install. Then if the upgrade fails, you still have a working install. If you choose to do a full new install, simply install to the other partition and change you boot order when your new install works to your liking.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by dayylin
          As ronw said. Many will just do a upgrade. The thing to remember if you do that is to backup what you want. That way if there is a issue, you will be covered.

As I said though, please make sure you backup your data. Nothing worse than doing it and having something go wrong and what you needed is now lost.
          the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade will upgrade the aplacations you have installed to the next version in the repo (IE: appfoo-ver 1 to appfoo-ver 2) it dose not take you to new releases like in 11.04-natty to 11.10-oneiric

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by dayylin
            Like vinnywright mentioned, that will only upgrade a release if you switch to the repos of the new release.

---

'update-manager-core' package includes a CLI tool 'do-release-upgrade' that can also be used to upgrade a release.

Comment

Bah. Absolutely right vinnywright. I normally keep my repos up and keep forgetting that. Good catch.

Comment

I used do-release-upgrade to transition my main laptop from Natty to Oneiric, and it worked pretty well. I was too lazy to rebuild it at the time. However, when Precise comes out, I'll probably do a rebuild then.

Comment

Working...
                X