This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up group file Perms

I need to set up the /dev/input/event* for chmod 777. I can do it via command line sudo chmod 777 /dev/input/event* but this is very insecure.

So in kde I went into System Setting >Users & Groups>Groups I setup a "Input" group. I then added mysef to the group.

I then ran kdesu konqueror and set the event files to the input group. I also set the files to 777.

So why do my files keep reverting back to their original state?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Linux, it does the computer good!

Re: Setting up group file Perms

So you admit that 777 is insecure, but then you want to do it anyway?

Why set up a group if everyone outside that group also has the same permissions?

When you say the files are reverting back to their original state, does that mean files you've already chmoded or newly created files?

What exactly do you want to have happen and what exactly is happening?
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Well, right now I have to set them writable thru root access.

I need them writable by me only.

So what would be the best/smartest way to do that?

I believe these event files are created as they are needed. So would that mean the dir needs it's perms set in some way?

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

If you're the only user in the admin group they're already writable by you only because they are "root root 660" (at least if you don't mind writing them with sudo). Alternatively you could use suid on whichever program you're working with.

Comment

Unfortunatly I can only change the perms if I am root.

When I reboot the perms revert back to writable only by root.

Comment

Apparently, I wasn't being clear. You don't need to change the perms on the event pseudofiles. You have to give the program that is writing the event file, SUID permission. If you are writing them manually you just have to use sudo to write to them.

Have you read the RootSudo wiki page? By the way, I have never written to a /dev/input/event? file, in fact I didn't even know that it was possible. What are you trying to do?

Comment

Working...
            X