X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garbage is always full?!

I there friends,
    It’s my first post here, so how are you?

I’m Sérgio, from Portugal, and although I tried KDE before, just for fun, this will be my first serious attempt…and with KUBUNTU!
    I’m familiar with Ubuntu and Mint, so more this is like a family. But since I’ve always used gnome, KDE is a completely new world for me… so considerer me a newbie (well, even in gnome… but whatever!).
    So I may ask you a question, cause this thing is driven me crazy:
    When I try to delete folders from my mp3 player (the machine, not the app) I get the message that Garbage is full, and to try to empty it manually!!!
    How can it be, that the garbage is full with a 80 mb folder?! And even after I empty the garbage, this still happens.
    This makes no sense at all, cause in gnome, the garbage is never full, and from times to times we just go there, and empty the thing. So I think I’m missing something…
    Please help…

Ps: Sorry for my bad English, but like I said I’m Portuguese!

Re: Garbage is always full?!

Chwck the trashcan settings (right click on Trashcan, click on Trashcan settings). Do you have "Limit to maximum size" checked. Either uncheck it or increase the size (in percentage).
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by scdaymon
      I there friends,
      It’s my first post here, so how are you?
      Hi and welcome. You're in a very friendly and helpful place!

When I try to delete folders from my mp3 player (the machine, not the app) I get the message that Garbage is full, and to try to empty it manually!!!
      How can it be, that the garbage is full with a 80 mb folder?! And even after I empty the garbage, this still happens.
      This makes no sense at all
      Sure it does. Is your trash can limited to 80 MB, or is that the size of the folder you're trying to put in it? If that's the size of the trash can, that's the problem. Do what bsniadajewski said and try again.

Alternately, you can 'delete' the files, bypassing the trash can completely. I'm assuming you're using Dolphin to do this; you can configure its settings to add a 'delete' option to its right-click menu. Or, if you're not afraid of the command line, you can 'rm' them and they'll be gone forever.

If you try any/all of the above but you're still having the same problem, post again.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

aside from checking the trashcan settings you can bypass the trashcan by highlighting the files to be deleted and hold down the shift key wile pressing the delete key.

this will bypass the trashcan and permanently delete the files.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi there guys,

I tried to configure the trash can settings, but it didn’t worked!!! I didn't understand why, but I’m doing the “bypass the trashcan by highlight the file and press shift while delete” advice. And works pretty well.

Again thank you very much guys.

Comment

I tried to configure the trash can settings, but it didn’t worked!!!
            A picture might help ...

[img width=400 height=365]http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/6216/dolphintrash.png[/img]

Comment

Thanks dibl, sometimes a pictures does help!!!

But I did exactly those steps, and it didn't worked... that's beyond me!!!!!

Comment

Thanks dibl, sometimes a pictures does help!!!

But I did exactly those steps, and it didn't worked... that's beyond me!!!!!
                perhaps you dont have enuff space on the drive for the trash can to be as large as you want........(you did click apply right)
                what dose
                Code:
                df -h
                show?

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

but I’m doing the “bypass the trashcan by highlight the file and press shift while delete” advice. And works pretty well.
                  That's fine, but it's a lot quicker/easier to click 'delete' in the context menu.
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
                  X