Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kontact fails to accept appointments in the calendar.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact fails to accept appointments in the calendar.

I do not use Kontact often. I prefer to use Kmail for emails and do not usually have appointments.

When I attempted to set an appointment in the calendar, I was told there was no calendar to place the entry.

I added the following calendar:

akonadi calendar with sub directories '/etc/Calendar' and 'Birthdays & Anniversaries'

Now when I attempt to set an appointment, I no longer get a warning that no calendar is present, But nothing happens when I click on 'apply' to enter an appointment.

I have a complex set of medical appoints in my near future and need a calendar to help me keep my appointments. How do I resolve this problem? If possible, I prefer Kontact over Firefox, Thanks!

Re: Kontact fails to accept appointments in the calendar.

Hi
    if you could please come back with more information about your particular setup.

I just did the upgrade and kontact is all messed up.

There were problems with using Akonadi before but now, for me, it is some kind of "loop" where it "can't load the resource".

Usually that was solved by removing anything akonadi in menu/personal information/akonadi resources.

I usually also remove "personal address book".

But unfortunately none of that has helped so maybe somebody will stop by to help soon other than I.

woodsmoke

Comment

Ok this is what worked for me,

menu/persoanl information/akonadai I have:
      Personal Contacts
      Notes
      Yahoo Mail
      Google Mail
      local folders

and it is working.

So, if you could provide some more information about your system, someone should be able to help you.

woodsmoke

Comment

Hi
        well, I got all of mine set up, this is on the latest update 11.11 KDE 4.7.2.

The problem with the akonadi calendar part is that you have to install:

akonadi-kde-resource-googled-12.0.1 in the repos. It pulls libgcal with it.

This supposedly allows syncing with google calendar.

However, the problem is, from perusing the web and reading the developer bug reports, is that the interface for setting up the syncing requires ONLY: your google e-mail address and your password.

However, there is no part of the interface that allows choice of a calendar.

What happens is that akonadi "pulls" the first calendar it sees which is the BLANK .ics calendar that you see in Home/.kde/share/apps/korganizer

This is a known bug, not of the "system" itself, but of the interface. I had hoped that the latest updates and upgrade would have fixed it, but it has not, unfortunately.

However, all is not lost.

You can MANUALLY download(export) your google calendar as an .ice(formerly ical) to your machine, add that as a NEW calendar and it will sync as per your instructions, all you have to do is do a replace in the folder where you downloaded it.

I realize that is a rather cumbersome method but I use it.

HOWEVER, since you are in a particular situation of having to have quickly updated information, possibly Thunderbird would better fill your needs.

woodsmoke

Comment

After: "All is not lost." I did not understand your solution. Sometimes I get so frustrated by not being able to understand that which is so seemingly obvious, that I just have to step back for a bit. It is like overload, and I have to re-boot my mind.

I just got to your response again after all this time, so if you read this and are willing to continue, the problem still exists. Perhaps now I can deal with the pressure generated by my lack of knowledge.

Comment

Hi

Two questions:

a) Do you need to have your calendar to sync with something on the web, or do you want to have it sync with something like Google Calendar or maybe sync it with a smart phone? Or is it acceptable to have it only on the computer at home?

b) You did not mention whether you have Akonadi set up. You said that you tried to "add" an Akonadi calendar but you did not mention whether you have set up the "backend" that is the "Akonadi resources".

Akonadi is in Personal Information and there are two components to the setup. The first is adding the component you need like the calendar resource. That is the important part. It will ask you for whether you want an IMAP or a POP type calendar and you should choose one of those types.

However. given that, if you do not need a calendar that is on the web or on a smartphone then you should, indeed, be able to just set up a calendar on the local machine.

That should be easily done by being in the calendar module and then "adding an event". That should work easily.

Please come back and explain more about what you have done, and need, and I am sure that we can get something to work for you.

woodsmoke

Comment

The 'event' you create is actually saved in the Default Calendar (at least it is here in my 11.10 Kubuntu). To 'see' it you have to have Default Calendar checked in Kontact.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X