Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just installed and upon restard and loading Kubuntu I get this error message..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just installed and upon restard and loading Kubuntu I get this error message..

Hey, I'm a new user to Linux. I am exploring this OS out of curiosity so I can see the capabilities, and try some programs using Linux to see how they run compared to traditional Windows programs. Enough of the bio, here's my problem.

I installed Kubuntu using the Wubi installer for Windows 7. I had no issues while doing this and everything seemed to run smoothly. I used the prompt to reboot my computer. Upon restart I chose to boot using Kubuntu instead of Windows 7, I got to the screen that said 'Completing Kubuntu Installation; for other installation boot options press ESC'. I let the counter go down and I proceeded to the Kubuntu loading screen. It appeared to load fine, but then upon the screen change I was left at a backround of what simply looked like static. I had a responsive cursor but wasn't able to do anything. After several minutes of waiting I restarted my machine, again choosing to boot using Kubuntu. Again I went through the 'Completing Installation' screen and the loading screen. This time, I was again brought to the screen with the static background, but I also had the following error message:

"The selected partition (partition 2 of /var/lib/partman/=devices/=dev=sda) already contains the following file system images:

/ubuntu/disks/root.disk

Please uninstall these before trying again."

I clicked okay (only option) and received a second error message:

"No root file system is defined.

Please correct this from the partitioning menu."

Again my only option is to click okay, and when doing so, I simply get the same message over again. I then chose to restart my machine and load with windows; now I am here typing this message.

A little help please?

Zack The Ripper = Future World Champion

Re: I just installed and upon restard and loading Kubuntu I get this error message..

so can you get to win 7 at all?
    at-least if you could get to a safe mode you could repair the boot up
    If you can burn this to cd http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

it should help at least get win 7 back then you could try again

Comment

Re: I just installed and upon restard and loading Kubuntu I get this error message..

My Windows 7 is fine. I have no issues booting with it as my main. It's when I try to boot with just Kubuntu as my main OS I have these issues. I Ubuntu installed before and didn't really have any problems doing this. I switched to Kubuntu because a friend told me the platform was nicer, unfortunately I wouldn't know because of this problem.

Comment

ok well been a while since i have used wubi install . So i have no reference on how to uninstall wubi and reinstall

Comment

Originally posted by StarWolf
          ok well been a while since i have used wubi install . So i have no reference on how to uninstall wubi and reinstall
          In Windows, it's seen as an installed Application, and can, therefore, be removed as such, through the Control Panel.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have actually uninstalled, and re-installed Kubuntu, and I receive the same error. I don't know what else to do. I'm worried my computer just may not be compatible with Kubuntu.

Comment

As to whether the PC is compatible with Kubuntu, have you tried running Kubuntu from a LiveCD?

Comment

Lol sorry to sound ubernoob, but, LiveCD? Do you just mean burning Kubuntu to a disk and booting from that?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I haven't done this. How would I go about doing this, got a tutorial or something?

Comment

You use the same downloaded .iso file (unless you downloaded the alternate .iso). See Burn a CD or DVD from an ISO file

Comment

So another question. Should I leave Kubuntu installed, burn the .iso image to the disk, and then try to boot it? Or, should I uninstall Kubuntu, burn the .iso image to the disk, and then install Kubuntu using the disk? Which way is the most effective?

Comment

First things first. Create the LiveCD and try it. You want to "try before you buy" as it were. Running Kubuntu from the LiveCD will allow you to see just how it works with your PC hardware. It will be slower than an actual install of course (running from the CD), but it will permit you to test everything first. If all works as you expect, then we can address the manner/method of installing Kubuntu to your HDD.

Comment

Working...
                          X