This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooler always running at full power

Since i installed kubuntu (few days ago) my cooler works at full power and this causes faster discharging of thr battery.Before kubuntu i used SLED 11 and cooler worked normally.I using HP ProBook 4530s.What should i do?

Re: Cooler always running at full power

Some bios allow you to choose whether you want it to run at full speed or low speed. My asrock mb (it is a destop mb, but I guess the main idea is the same) allows me to choose target temperature and target fan speed.

Try booting in bios in case you find such an option. If the fan speed in bios controlled you should have no problem after that. If it is OS controlled, then maybe there is a way with lmsensors.

Lmsensors is a package that allows you to monitor temperatures, voltages, fasnpeeds etc (the equivelant in windows is speedfan). I have the impression that there are ways to controll fan speeds using lmsensors, but I have never tried it. Just installed and set the desktop applets.

I'd say give it a try from the bios first, it should be the easiest way.

good luck!

Comment

What graphic card is in the notebook? If it is an amd/ati card, default opensource drivers don't support power management well and graphic card can get very hot. Install proprietary drivers from Additional Drivers (default one).
      Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

@schnelle Yes,this laptop uses AMD Radeon HD 6470M.I tried to install "ati/amd proprietary FGLRX graphic driver(post-release updates)" from Additional drivers and i received a warnning:"Sorry, installation of this driver failed. Please have a look at the log file for details: /var/log/jockey.log".But there is no any text in /var/log/jockey.log.Do you have any ideas for fixing this problem with drivers?

Comment

If fglrx does not work, try the proprietary drivers from their website.

http://support.amd.com/US/GPUDOWNLOAD/Pages/index.aspx

I read somewhere that they are a bit better than fglrx, but could be mistaken.

What I have noticed, is that amd releases frequent updates for these drivers, while the ones installed from "Additional Drivers" are from 02/05/2010. Before formating my partition I was using those from the above link and their updates were pretty frequent.

Regarding what schnelle wrote, I saw a 10 degree (Celsius) decrease in the vga temperature after installing proprietary. I thought initially that it was a wrong reading, but it turns out that the open source driver is not that good and stresses the hardware all the time. Hope this solves your problem.

Comment

Depending on your configuration, KWin could be raising your laptop's temperature. I read the other day about some bug reports regarding KWin's excessive CPU use. Open a Konsole, run top, and observe KWin's CPU utilization. Then open System Settings | Desktop Effects and disable the blur effect. On both my laptops, KWin's CPU utilization drops significantly, which results in lower temperatures and quieter fans.

Comment

I am having the same issue with the same chip.

@foki:
              post-release updates
              These are broken. Try the other one.

I did that and my fan behaved but I couldn't get kwin (3D) effects to work.

@zahtar: tired that as well and yes they are the newest drivers. Couldn't get that driver fully installed correctly much less kwin effects to work.

@SteveRiley: turning blur off made no difference.

I did get some results from this:
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post11438030
              without jupiter (mono stuff) and still using the open source drivers for the above reasons.

I also installed this PPA:
              ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers from here:
              https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

and updated my xorg.

If someone gets this card to work 3D with the latest prop. drivers please let us know.
              HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X