• Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" , the changing thereof

Changing
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    To
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=

then running sudo ` update-grub " works well on a HDD installed , ubuntu say ,giving the traditional
    rolling messages.

When I do the same on a live edition using persistence on a USB stick , update-grub gives

` /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: cannot find a device for / (is /dev mounted?). ".

Could someone kindly give me some guidance , please ?

Re: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" , the changing thereof

sounds like grub isn't finding the root install. What's the output of mount

Please Read Me

Comment

Oshunluvr, thanks for your reply.

/etc/fstab contains :

ufs / aufs rw 0 0
      tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nosuid,nodev 0 0
      /dev/sda5 swap swap defaults 0 0
      ~
      /etc/mtab contains :

aufs / aufs rw 0 0
      none /proc proc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
      none /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
      none /dev devtmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
      none /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620 0 0
      /dev/sdb2 /cdrom vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,i ocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro 0 0
      /dev/loop0 /rofs squashfs ro,noatime 0 0
      none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
      none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
      none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
      none /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
      tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
      none /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
      none /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
      none /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
      binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
      gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/ubuntu/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,user=ubuntu 0 0
      /dev/sdb1 /media/UB10-4~3SP vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=999,gid=999,sho rtname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush 0 0
      ~
      I tried sudo su mount -l root and got

mount: can't find root in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab .

The real puzzle is that everything went fine with installed to HDD drive version .

On the HDD version ` /boot/grub/grub.cfg " EXISTS .
      On the live version `/boot/grub/grub.cfg " DOESN'T EXIST instead there is `/boot/grub/grubenv " .
      Therein lies the problem .

Comment

This is kind of a left field operation - updating GRUB on a liveUSB using persistence.

I suspect the OS in in a packaged compressed file so the normal paths for GRUB don't work because they aren't there. This isn't may area of knowledge. Hopefully, someone will join the thread that does

Please Read Me

Comment

Right -- the fact that /boot/grub/grub.cfg does not exist is your clue that editing /etc/default/grub (even if if you could find it) would be fruitless. You've got an AUFS compressed filesystem installation in which update-grub does not function to build /boot/grub/grub.cfg in the "normal", i.e. standard filesystem fashion.

The only way you could have a user-controlled grub menu on a USB stick is if you install Linux as though the USB stick were an hdd, which of course entails making a partition with ext2, -3, or -4 filesystem, and then installing on that, or some similar technique such as this.

Comment

Many thanks oshunluvr and dibl for your replies .

Dibl, as for installing on the USB as though it were a normal install would defeat the object ,

as I already have it on the HDD.

What about putting the iso image in `ISOMASTER", extracting Casper ,finding the /etc/default/grub ,

removing "quiet splash" , and re-inserting casper , of course I would have to unpack and pack the

initrd.lz file,where , I suspect the grub file is ?

Comment

I'm very doubtful that the file /etc/default/grub even exists on that ISO image. Are you able to examine or edit the file /boot/grub/grubenv?

Comment

Working...
              X