X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gstreamer 32bit & 64bit

Hello All,

I have an application that needs the 32bit version of the Gstreamer libs. So I have a few questions...
    1) can the 32bit & 64bit versions coexist w/o any issues?
    2) If not, is there any issue with replacing the 64bit with the 32bit.

As a side note...this is not the first time I have had to do some kind of workaround because of 64bit incompatibility. Was going to 64bit a mistake? It sure seems to be a lot of extra work!
    Thanks,

Craigbert
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Kubuntu 13.04
    8GB RAM & Intel Core i7 1.87GHz
    Registered Linux User 537624

Re: Gstreamer 32bit & 64bit

Originally posted by craigbert

I have an application that needs the 32bit version of the Gstreamer libs.
    Which application is this?

Also, install the ia32-libs package, then try your application again.

FYI, there are very few reasons to have a lot of work to do, related to 64-bit architecture. Do you have other examples?

Comment

If you are running oneiric or earlier, ia32-libs has the 32 bit versions of the gstreamer libraries.

If you are running precise, or have installed multiarch support for oneiric, then the :i386 versions of the gstreamer libraries should be installed when you install the gstreamer packages. Note that the multiarch packages for precise are not necessarily complete, so they may or may not work at this point.

Edit: check /usr/lib32 for the gstreamer 32 bit libraries.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

dibl said "Which application is this?"
        It is an application I wrote myself in Real Studio ~ a multiplatform version of BASIC. Any way, it works fine on a 32bit version of Kubuntu I have (same version that I am running on the 64bit side). So I posted some questions here and there and someone suggested that the 32bit libs of Gstreamer may need to be installed, if they are not. Hence my post here.

I know for a fact that I have the ia32-libs installed.

dibl said "Do you have other examples?"
        Not that I can think of off the top of my head. Perhaps I let my frustration get the better of me. I will go back through my notes and either post the ones that have been problem children or apologize for my getting carried away. I know I have more than once had to us the -i ignore architecture option, but that is only a minor inconvenience.

doctordruidphd said: "check /usr/lib32 for the gstreamer 32 bit libraries."
        I looked there and I see some gstreamer directories and a "libgstreamer-0.10.so". Do I correctly assume that I have the 32bit Gstreamer stuff installed then?
        Thanks,

Craigbert
        ----------------------------------------------------
        Kubuntu 13.04
        8GB RAM & Intel Core i7 1.87GHz
        Registered Linux User 537624

Comment

I looked there and I see some gstreamer directories and a "libgstreamer-0.10.so". Do I correctly assume that I have the 32bit Gstreamer stuff installed then?
          Yes, that looks like what I have, and wine, which is a 32-bit application, runs sound as it should. I am not sure exactly how you would test, other than to actually set up your application and run it.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
          X