Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could not save properties. You do not have sufficient access... to own desktop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could not save properties. You do not have sufficient access... to own desktop?

When trying to change the icon on one of my .desktop files (on my own desktop), I get:

"Could not save properties. You do not have sufficient access to write to /home/dave/Desktop/QUIET.desktop"

How can I not have permission to write to my own desktop?

I'm a brand-newbie KDE user, Kubuntu 11.10 x64.

It looks to me like I do have the necessary permissions:

Code:
    dave@enough:~/Desktop$ ls -l
    total 212
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 dave dave 10483 2011-11-27 11:19 2011-11 Kubuntu 11.10 x64 install notes (ENOUGH)
    drwxrwxr-x 2 dave dave  4096 2011-11-26 16:36 KDE notes
    drwxrwxr-x 3 dave dave  4096 2011-11-27 11:06 Linux tips
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 dave dave  401 2011-11-27 11:31 QUIET.desktop
    -rwxrw-r-- 1 dave dave  274 2011-11-26 15:18 TOWER.desktop
    What am I doing wrong?

(BTW I did search both here and Google before posting - the only relevant thing I found was a similar complaint, but they were trying to modify a softlink; this is not a softlink.)

Re: Could not save properties. You do not have sufficient access... to own desktop?

What item on the Desktop are you trying to change the icon of?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Could not save properties. You do not have sufficient access... to own desktop?

Originally posted by Snowhog
      What item on the Desktop are you trying to change the icon of?
      QUIET.desktop

(It's mentioned in the error message.)

Here are the contents of that file, if it matters:

Code:
      [Desktop Entry]
      Comment[en_US]=RDP to QUIET
      Comment=RDP to QUIET
      Exec=scripts/startRDP.sh 192.168.1.117 Dave
      GenericName[en_US]=
      GenericName=
      Icon[en_US]=gnome-panel-launcher
      Icon=computer
      MimeType=
      Name[en_US]=QUIET
      Name=QUIET
      Path=
      StartupNotify=true
      Terminal=false
      TerminalOptions=
      Type=Application
      Version=1.0
      X-DBUS-ServiceName=
      X-DBUS-StartupType=
      X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
      X-KDE-Username=

Comment

I have the same problem in Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. Most, so far, are with putting an icon on files like *.desktop -- most require invocation of java, but maybe not all.
        Last edited by wwilly; Oct 24, 2012, 11:42 PM. Reason: missing word

Comment

Is the drive they are located on mounted read only (check the output of mount)? Can you modify the files from command line? Can you modify the files as root?

Comment

The drive is mounted, it is r/w.
            The file(s) in question are on my (running/working) Desktop, in a folder/directory called "APPS".
            Everything in "APPS" is r/w.
            I don't know how to attach an icon to a file from a command line. The failure message comes from the GUI way of attaching.

Comment

In KDE you need to use Dolphin. Right-click on the icon and choose Properties. On the General tab left-click on the icon in the upper left. Choose what icon you want to use.
              Remember you will need to 'Unlock Widgets' before doing this. And be sure to 'Lock Widgets' after finished.

And yes you can use (by importing) a different icon graphic is you wish.
              Last edited by luckyone; Oct 26, 2012, 12:18 AM.
              GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Originally posted by luckyone View Post
                In KDE you need to use Dolphin. Right-click on the icon and choose Properties. On the General tab left-click on the icon in the upper left. Choose what icon you want to use.
                Remember you will need to 'Unlock Widgets' before doing this. And be sure to 'Lock Widgets' after finished.

And yes you can use (by importing) a different icon graphic is you wish.
                Thanks for your interest, luckyone.
                Except for the idea about unlock/lock widgets, I've been doing exactly as you describe. But my widgets *are* unlocked to start; and anyway I've tried it both ways. The refusal to work, and the error message, persist.

IMO, the problem is a bug (along with others) in Kubuntu 12.04 LTS. I had no similar problem(s) with "Lucid Lynx" which preceded it, nor the "Meercat" before that - all on the self-same machine.

Comment

Try launching Dolphin 'as root' and then go with luckyone's suggestion.

Alt+F2 (to launch Kicker) and type: kdesudo dolphin
                  Type your pwd and Dolphin will be launched as root.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Try launching Dolphin 'as root' and then go with luckyone's suggestion.

Alt+F2 (to launch Kicker) and type: kdesudo dolphin
                    Type your pwd and Dolphin will be launched as root.
                    Alt+F2 opens the small entry window.
                    Typing " kdesudo dolphin " (w/o the quotes) accepts my entry -- then the window disappears. My password isn't asked-for ; dolphin doesn't launch.

Trying the same thing in a 'normal' terminal generates 6 lines of error messages, but dolphin does start.
                    Following luckyone's method then generates a dozen and more (varied) error messages; *doesn't* allow me to add an icon to a file -- and fails with the original subject error message.

Comment

Install Krusader. It's a root-mode File Manager. Then use it and follow my directions. Sorry for forgetting to say.
                      GigaByte GA-965G-DS3, Core2Duo at 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ASUS DRW-24B1ST, LiteOn iHAS 324 A, NVIDIA 7300 GS, 500 GB and 80 GB WD HDD

Comment

Thanks luckyone. Did all that. Same error message; icons on the file(s) still can't be/aren't changed: "You do not have sufficient access..."

I've had a slew of "updates" roll in since my last post.
                        Snowhog's suggestion about how to invoke Dolphin now works (it didn't before). That is, Dolphin now "comes up" and works without complaint. BUT it still doesn't allow changing file icons either. Same error message as above, just like before.

Comment

I've found other ways to accomplish what I want; therefore have lost interest in the general problem.
                          So from my POV this thread is terminated. I'm not watching it anymore. But FWIW it's not *solved* either.

Comment

I know you said you won't read this, but others may read it and gain assistance or knowledge. Though adding how you accomplished your task would very much be useful information for them as well

WDL, your issue could be completely different from the OP (Dave92f1). I will bet that the file permissions on various files in your Desktop folder were changed somehow. This is quite often caused by running a gui program such as Dolphin or Kate (and others) with sudo instead of ksedudo.

Check the permissions on the file or folder using your file manager to see what they are. They may well show that they are owned by root. If this is the case, it can be fixed fairly easily by either running the file manager with kdesudo, and changing ownership there - you can tell it to do this recursively for any files or folders inside a folder as well.

The commandline method is this:
                            Code:
                            sudo chown -Rv your-username:your-username /home/your-username/path-to-folder
                            The "R" makes the command change things on all files and folders inside the path specified, the "v" will show what was changed or not. The "v" can be left off if you do not want to see that output.

Comment

Thanks for your interest claydoh.
                              The fact remains that on *my* machine, with *my* distro, NONE of the suggested approaches posted here have worked. A curious thing, that.

What has worked for me - when it worked - was different for each and every file/icon pairing I needed to make.

A few have resisted all my best efforts. For those I gave up and created a new, unique mimetype with a unique icon, then renamed the file in question. The new file-extension never will be used again for any other file. Certainly that's a meat-cleaver approach when a scalpel is called-for. But it will do until, or if, I ever find the scalpel. ...Or Canonical in it's wisdom updates/fixes the distro.

As to helping others: I do when I can. I'm a newbie to Kubuntu 12.04 LTS, but (40+ years experience) NOT to computers and complex OSs. IMO describing each and all the other things I did would be both cumbersome at best and *wouldn't* help anyone else.
                              My seven-drive five-OS quintuple-boot machine's set-up truly is unique and provides many opportunities for any OS to be unhappy and stub its toe. ...Unless one is very careful, AND has a correctly functioning OS. *My* 12.04 (two installations) isn't one of those, I believe.

What "other things" I've done (that worked for me) likely simply wouldn't apply to others' setups - let alone work for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X