This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reason not to go 64bit?

I will be installing on a Athlon x3, 4GB ram system. Is there any reason not to use the 64bit version? I know there used to be problems with various add on programs ie flash, drivers wine etc and the speed difference was small if you weren't doing things like video encoding. However, if the bugs have been worked out then it may be worth it.

Re: Any reason not to go 64bit?

Many of us here have been using 64-bit for a while now with no ill effects. I can report successful operation of nVidia binary drivers, Wine, Flash, sound, and VirtualBox.

Comment

Same here. I even used the 64-bit Minimal CD to build up my system from the ground up (actually it was the Natty minimal upgrade directly to Oneiric, then built up my Kubuntu desktop) with no difficulties. If need be, you'll still have access to the ia32 packages too.
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

No reason not to go 64bit.

I too am using AMD Athlon II x3 with 4GB ram. I haven't had any problems that are 64bit specific.

Comment

yup running 64bit hear sense 11.04 now net uped to11.10 no probs at all on intel stuff.

HP-G62
          core i3 4Gig RAM core integrated graphics

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have been using 64-bit for the last several releases, and it works well. There are only occasional glitches with 32-bit programs, and most of those can be avoided by downloading from the repositories or compiling yourself, as opposed to installing binaries from websites.

You need to be aware of one point: there is a transition in progress in the ubuntu development branch (precise, 12.04) with the way 32-bit programs are handled by the 64-bit system, and that transition is not complete or functional at this point. Things like wine currently do not work in precise systems. This transition is expected to be complete by the precise release date, but to reiterate, is not currently in a working state. So if you need to run 32-bit programs, stay with one of the current, supported releases. Do not install or upgrade to 12.04 until later in the development cycle.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I've been installing the 64-bit Kubuntu since ver. 6.06. There used to be issues with flash, but not in the past couple of years. There are some packages, like Google Earth, that are only packaged for 32-bit, but if you install the ia32-libs package, that's not a problem. I don't know of any package that I can't install and use, if I want to. BTW, Linux is headed toward multiarch in the near future, and we won't have to talk about this anymore.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know why ubuntu and kubuntu have the 32bit version as 'recommended' on their download page?

Comment

Originally posted by bailout
                  Does anyone know why ubuntu and kubuntu have the 32bit version as 'recommended' on their download page?
                  That will change once 12.04 is released - http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/expec...4-precise.html

Comment

Hi bailout...

My experience with 10.04 x64 was for the most part, excellent. As you mentioned, there are the occasional glitches with 32 bit compatibility, the worst example for me being Opera. A 32 bit version would not install so, fortunately, a 64 bit version was available. This, of course, required the 64 bit version of flash (for Linux.) I have no idea where the current version can be found, however, as Adobe has changed its links and I am not writing this from a Linux OS.

Regards...
                    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Working...
                    X