Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RESOLVED Is there a way to stop the notification of an individual application u

I have actually used the Kubuntu 11.10 edition of our OS for many months. I like it, however, there are a couple of features that were in Natty that were removed from Ocelot. As a consequence, I find that I prefer Natty to Ocelot. Nevertheless since the rc for Ocelot has been released, the notification for an upgrade appears every few minuted to advise it's installation.

I have recently reinstalled Natty, to retain the features that were removed. I would like to stop the Ocelot Upgrade Notification pop-up if possible. I will probably never upgrade.

For those who may be interested in knowing what features are important enough for me to reject the upgrade, I will explain. No need to read any further if you do not wish to know.

I am right handed and favor the newer version of kde for my desktop. When kde first came out, I decided to learn the new and different way the menu is handled rather than stay with Kubuntu's traditional Desktop, which more emulates the Windows method of locating applications. As a result, I also thought information dropping down from the top of the screen was more efficient, since we normally read from top to bottom most documents and tutorials and menus and checklists and the like.

So while learning the new desktop procedures, I thought I would locate and become familiar with having the panel at the top of the screen. As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, because I am right-handed, I also thought I would locate the Application Launcher and other much used data launchers on the upper-right portion of the screen. Now I am reading top to bottom, and since I mainly use the menu buttons and other drop-down activities like Photographs and Movie Menus, I located application buttons for those activities, most used, there also.

Previous Kubuntu Operating Systems (continuing through Natty) provide features for people who like the configuration I prefer, and which features have been removed from the Ocelot OS. Since I use these features continually throughout each day, they are important to me. I prefer these features over the other improvements that were made to Ocelot that differ from Natty.

I also prefer a clean desktop, without icons showing. I prefer the application launcher and media drop-downs to be minimized to only use the space necessary to view the contents, so being able to resize those drop-down windows to their smallest configuration, while still revealing the greatest quantity of content, is preferred.

In all previous editions of Kubuntu's newer generation of desktop, I was able to modify the drop-down window size by grabbing the lower-left corner of the window to resize both width and length of the container. For some reason, Ocelot has changed this feature to the lower and upper right corners of the drop-down box. The result for people who locate the applications menu in the upper-right corner of the screen, this hinders the ability to resize the window due to the fact that the lower/upper right corner of of the container is snug against the right edge of the screen. As a consequence, only the length of the container can be increased or reduced, and the width can not be modified. Each time I add or remove a favorite, for instance, I am only able to modify the length of the container to include additions or shorten the container if I remove anything.

The second feature that was removed in Ocelot concerns the same container. When I open the Applications Launcher, Kmenu, my favorite and most regularly used applications appear. The second tab reveals the general contents of my computer which are listed into categories. When I select title that most likely contains the list of application type that I want to open.

For instance: If I want to open a browser that is not included among my Favorites, I select the 'Internet' item from the general list of choices, and all Internet related applications appear. In previous issues of Kubuntu, like Natty, when I want to return to the general list of choices I clicked on a shaded area of the left side of the application list, and I was returned to the General list of Items, allowing me to move back and forth without having to close and reopen the Kmenu drop-down.

This is a process that happens many times every day for me.

Ocelot has removed the grey area on the left side of the window that permits returning to the General List. In Ocelot, if you want to return to the General List, you must close the drop-down and reopen Kmenu>Applications> to get to that choice. I don't understand the logic for the change, but increased configurability is one of the reasons I favor Kubuntu over other Operating Systems. Someone actually had to take the time to remove that instruction, which doesn't make any sense to me.

I am so very grateful for the use of such a fine Operating System like Kubuntu, that I am inclined to not want to complain. Since I was able to re-install Kubuntu 11.04 to solve those configuration issues, I choose not to register any displeasure. Additionally, I am sure that there was a reason for doing so that benefits greater numbers of users, so operating Natty rather than Ocelot is just fine for me.

Nonetheless, if that reminder to upgrade to Ocelot appeared only at boot up, it would be something that would not bother me. But, having it appear on-screen every few minutes, when I probably will never upgrade to Ocelot, is perhaps unnecessary in the way of a reminder. Having the configuration features provided by Natty is more important than the irritation of having to click on the reminder pop-up to get it off-screen. Perhaps a check-box that asked if I want the reminder to stop appearing would do the job, but I don't know how to make that.

I do not want 'reminders' to be completely removed, I just would prefer to not be forced to accept an unwanted upgrade as the only fix for the problem.

Thanks for any interest you may have. By the way, for those of you who resist the newer application launcher in favor of the traditional, I highly recommend learning to use the advanced technology. It doesn't take long, and seems to be more efficient and faster to use, once you get used to it. Besides, the Traditional method reminds of the Microsoft method. Once the transition to Linux has been accomplished, why not take advantage of the newer and better technologies that are available. Also, I prefer the launcher panel only on-screen when I need it, so I take advantage of the auto-hide feature too.

Thanks to the experts who keep this forum alive. You are most appreciated.

Re: Is there a way to stop the notification of an individual application upgrade?

System Settings > System > KPackagekit (??) > Settings > Configure Software Sources > Updates > Release upgrade > Show new distribution releases: Never

And you will 'never' see the upgrade (to the newer OS version) notices again.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Is there a way to stop the notification of an individual application upgrade?

Thanks so much, my friend. Haven't had a chance to experience the result, and won't if it works.

Comment

Re: RESOLVED Is there a way to stop the notification of an individual application u

Ocelot has removed the grey area on the left side of the window that permits returning to the General List. In Ocelot, if you want to return to the General List, you must close the drop-down and reopen Kmenu>Applications> to get to that choice
        I thought the same thing myself at first, then I discovered that you can navigate backwards by clicking on the 'breadcrumbs' (see pic below).

sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
        X