X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on Vaio S notebook

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and a (K)ubuntu user from Germany (please excuse English language errors, I think you should get what I want to aks anyway..).

I've been using gentoo for some time and changed to kubuntu because I was sick of compiling and I prefer KDE to gnome. It runs fine on my desktop and I now wanted to install it on my new notebook. It's a Sony Vaio VPCSB3X9E, one of the S-Series notebooks configured for the German market with i5 and 8GB RAM (details about the hardware are at sony.de, I can copy them in case of need), which is why I wanted to install the 64bit version as on my desktop.
    I experienced the following issues and would be grateful for any comments pointing in the most suitable way for a proper running system:

I fist installed 11.10 and realized already during the installation that it gets hot and the fans run wild. The splash shell during booting and when entering it with Ctrl+Alt) looked very weird. It works but is mostly not usable as the letters can't be identified.
    The noise from the fan was unbearable and several issues during daily use. I was unable to shut it down without a crash from a KDE-related installation.

That is why I installed 10:04 LTS. Installation went good and it was quiet like a stone. However, WLAN was not recognized and output on an external monitor did not work either (which did both work with 11.10). I need both. Beside that all seemed stable and good.

I searched a bit and found tools to control the fans etc. which is why I wanted to give 11.10 a second change (and I'm a bit into the "new stuff". This time the installation failed completely. The notebook got too hot during installation (seems as complex as DFT calculations of 100 atoms.. ) and the internal control shut it down before it was finished.

Now my question is: What should I do? Try to get the missing components in 10.04 working, try to get the temperature etc. issues in 11.10 solved, install a 32bit verion,..?
    I don't need a detailed instruction, just jour basic approach and a few catchwords to search for..

Thanks in advance,
    Holger

Re: Kubuntu on Vaio S notebook

For my ThinkPad, I use the utility thinkfan to get the temperature and fans under control. Configuring it requires a number of steps, which I found using -- what else -- Google.

Sony laptops can take advantage of a similar utility called vaiofand. I'm unfamiliar with the details of that tool as I've never owned a Sony laptop, but I'm sure that Google can help you there as it helped me get my ThinkPad to cool down.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu on Vaio S notebook

Thanks for the hint. Seems Sony has changed somethin and new Vaio versions are not supported by vaiofand.
      Anyhow, it kind of works. I still don't like the Akonadi-thing, but it seems you have to live with it in newer KDE versions..

Comment

Working...
      X