Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does Firefox extension "Global Menu Bar integration 2.0.1" do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does Firefox extension "Global Menu Bar integration 2.0.1" do?

New to Kubuntu using 11.10 and KDE 4.7.2. I just switched from LinuxMint, and just getting everything customized to my tastes.

One major problem I have been having is a huge lag loading Firefox and Chrome tabs and crashing on Flash sites, with constant freezing that I didn't have in LinuxMint. I have a few browser extensions enabled-
    Firefox:
    Global Menu Bar integration 2.0.1 (loaded when installed on Kubuntu - I didn't load this one)
    Ubuntu Firefox Modifications 1.0 (loaded when installed on Kubuntu - I didn't load this one)
    Google Docs Viewer 1.8
    Firebug 1.8.4
    Download Statusbar 0.9.10
    Adblock Plus 1.3.10

Chrome
    Adblock Plus for Google Chrome 1.1.4
    Docs PDF/PowerPoint Viewer (by Google) 3.7 (disabled)
    Firebug Lite for Google Chrome 1.4.0
    Send from Gmail (by Google) 1.12
    Show PDF in GViewer 1.0.5

The description for "Global Menu Bar integration" extension is that it integrates the menu bar into Unity. Do I use Unity with the default Kubuntu?

I disabled the Global Menu Bar integration extension in Firefox and immediately the window lag improved in both Firefox AND Chrome. So far, everything seems to work in Firefox. I would guess that 90% of the browser lag I was seeing is gone.

Do I need this extension, what does it do, and why would removing this in Firefox also improve performance in Chrome? Is the lag reduction just a coincidence?

OH - one other change I've noticed is my video card temperature dropped 4 degrees after this change, reducing the fan whine on my older AMD 4850 video card.

Re: What does Firefox extension "Global Menu Bar integration 2.0.1" do?

Because KDE doesn't use any part of Ubunut's Unity, you can safely purge stuff related to the global menu bar.

Comment

Thanks, SteveRiley.

I have this extension disabled, but it won't let me uninstall (no button to do that in the add-on manager). How do I purge it?

Comment

In a console, enter:

sudo apt-get purge firefox-globalmenu

Comment

Thank you! That cleared up the browser lag and no more crashing on Flash websites!

Comment

Working...
          X