This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping motherboards?

This is probably a silly question but despite using linux for some years I am not sure how the drivers work. I have just got a different motherboard and cpu. If I just plug my hard drive in will linux recognise the new hardware and load appropriate drivers or do I have to reinstall? I will probably be using a different hard drive eventually and was hoping that I could avoid a reinstall for what is going to be a temporary set up.

thanks

Re: Swapping motherboards?

Actually Linux is the one OS that gives you a decent chance to change your hardware without doing obeisance on bended knee to the OEM. But it will not automatically install new drivers -- it might recognize the ethernet chip and take care of that. The new CPU should not need special drivers, although if it is Intel you should install the intel-microcode package if you don't have it. If you're using the same GPU that should not present a problem.

Go ahead and hook up your hard drive, and see if you can boot it. Check BIOS first and make sure it is first in the boot sequence. I'm betting it will boot.

Comment

I have changed MB's several times using the Linux OS stored on my hard drive. No problem. And unlike that other OS, you don't have to reinstall and call someone in Redmond to get permission to use an OS you paid for.

Comment

Hi
        You ask a good question.

I have installed "the same" Linux on MULTITUDES of different mobos and setups...

I REGULARLY move a hard drive with Kubu or SuperOS or plain UBU or #! or Frugal or whatever between four different configurations of towers

I have taken a hard drive from my Toshiba lappy and put it in another Toshiba lappy.

The point here is.... as noted by dlbl above...you might have to "tweak" something, but aside from that Linux "wakes up in a new world every day".....checks it's to do list....and if the to do list does not match what it sees...it pitches the to do list....and makes a new one!!!

woodsmoke

Comment

Tried the new mb and cpu today. I just uninstalled the nvidia drivers as I wanted to try the onboard ATI graphics. Linux picked up all the new kit and graphics/sound/wireless etc are all working

Comment

Working...
          X