This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck at "Boot from CD/DVD:"

I tried installing Ubuntu/Kubuntu 11.10 using a flashdrive and I got stuck at "Boot from CD/DVD:" with a blinking cursor beneath it.

Windows 7 is already installed on the hard-disk. I'm trying to go for dual boot.

When I force restart the PC, it says "fail to boot due to overclock". Is overclocking a problem when installing Ubuntu?

Re: Stuck at "Boot from CD/DVD:"

Originally posted by panda

Is overclocking a problem when installing Ubuntu?
    Not necessarily Ubuntu, but it might be a problem for any bootable USB/CD device, if your hardware is not able to catch the bootstrap information on the USB stick or CD. Did you set up the OC after Windows was installed? If yes, then you might need to revert the computer to stock clocking, install Kubuntu, then reset the OC after Linux is installed.

BTW, you would be well advised to boot the Kubuntu Live USB stick (if you can) and check sound, networking, and whatever other accessory items (webcams, digital cameras, etc.) that you expect to use -- if any problems are detected you can do your research in advance of installing Linux and make sure it's going to work as you hope.

Comment

Tried it with default clock. Still the blinking cursor. I'm gonna bring this up in the Ubuntu forums btw, seems like its more active.

Comment

You are correct -- Ubuntu forums is more active. Hopefully someone will advise you.

The "blinking cursor" usually indicates a video problem -- you might need to use "safe graphics" at first, to test your system. I forget if it is F4 or F5 -- there's a menu at the bottom of the text menu.

Comment

Working...
        X