X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound / music on linux

Hello All,

I am going to put my ignorance on full display, so enjoy a good laugh on me!

It seems that there are several sound "systems" that can be used on linux: GStreamer, jack, pulseaudio, etc...

Which one is the most common?
    Thanks,

Craigbert
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Kubuntu 13.04
    8GB RAM & Intel Core i7 1.87GHz
    Registered Linux User 537624

Re: Sound / music on linux

Hi
    I don't know that there is a "most common" in terms of people going to the trouble to install something because that is especially what they like.

It used to be, up until a few years ago that the "most used" seemed to be ALSA but that seems to be changing to PulseAudio, as one can read in this wikipedia page:

The bottom two sections, "early adoption" and "alternatives" are probably worthy of a read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PulseAudio

I'm sure that someone more expert than I will pop by in a short while to provide a definitive answer.

woodsmoke

Comment

Thanks woodsmoke.

With all of this variety how do people know which sound APIs to write code against? Do they just pick one they like and go for it?
      Thanks,

Craigbert
      ----------------------------------------------------
      Kubuntu 13.04
      8GB RAM & Intel Core i7 1.87GHz
      Registered Linux User 537624

Comment

Hi craigbert,

As to that of which you ask; I have no clue.

But then again, some people aver that I am clueless!

But it may be any or all of: what strikes one's fancy, whether one gets along with the other developers, the particlular code snippets that are needed, the size of the job,.. labour of love... lotsa things

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
        X