Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resolved Need a guru. Did something very stupid.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resolved Need a guru. Did something very stupid.

I was having trouble with the sound on my Ocelot Kubuntu OS. Never anything like it before. It sounded faintly like the same program was playing over itself.

I attempted to correct for broken packages, then thought I might remove Alsa and reinstall. Part would not remove and said I should fix broken packages first.

I ran sudo dpkg --configure -a and tried again. I came to the same problem again. I then removed packages one at a time, thinking I could re-install Alsa after removing the problem. One of the applictions that I removed removed so many applications that on reboot many of the apps that I use were no longer installed including Dragon Player, VLC Player and Xine.

Dolphin would not open either, so it appeared I inadvertantly removed KDE. I then attempted reboot thinking KDE would correct itself upon restart. The boot process seemed to just linger on the beautiful Kubuntu screen where the four dots go back and forth. I allowed the computer to to stay on this screen for several minutes and finally booted using the live CD.

I could not open the boot process with minimal drivers, and am stuck with a system that will not boot.

Is there anything save re-installation that can be done to rescue my stupid mistake?

Thanks for your patience and any help you may provide.

Shabakthanai

Re: Need a guru. Did something very stupid.

boot to recovery mode (hold shift while grub is starting for menu) then select the "root with networking" prompt try
    apt-get install kubuntu-desktop hopefully that will get your stuff re installed.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Solved Re: Need a guru. Did something very stupid.

I got : unable to run /var/cache/apt; the packae lists on status file could not be parced or opened. Then usb 1-1.3: new full speed usb device number 6 using ehci_led device descriptor read/64, error 110...repeating for addresses 7, 8, and 9

Next: first for input 0 then input 5 then:

1.11 device [Logitech usb receiver] on usb-0000:00:02.1-1-4/input1

Looks like I don't get a mulligan. Any other thoughts?

By the way, how did I remove the desktop in an Alsa list of packages? It is frustrating, because the system has been working great for quite a while except when I screw it up.

After completing your instructions, it occured to me that my problem occurred when trying to remove Alsa packages. I then ran the autoremove command which was a successful operation. Then I ran apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, which then installed. I am back with a working desktop. Thanks so much for the help. This last entry is included for the benefit of those with a similar problem. I don't know what I would do without you gurus.

Comment

Re: Need a guru. Did something very stupid.

glad to see it worked for you please edit the first post and add SOLVED to it (i see you added it to the second one but that one show as its subject in search)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X