Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time startup/install hangs PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time startup/install hangs PLEASE HELP!

I'm getting VERY frustrated by this point with the whole Linux thing, but I really don't want to be!  I am now on my 3rd different version of Linux in less than a week and I've had nothing but trouble!  I've downloaded and installed, or at least attempted to install, Mandriva, Knoppix and now Kubuntu on two different machines and have had some type of trouble and it's starting to get me to the point of giving up.  Anyway, I really would like to give Kubuntu a shot before completely giving up because it was recommended by someone trying to help me out with a Knoppix screen resolution problem.  Anyway, I digress.  The problem I am having is that I have now downloaded the Kubuntu .iso file twice and have burned two CDs, both of which have given me the same results: I get to the Boot Menu (with "Start or Install Kubuntu", "Start Kubuntu in Safe Graphics Mode", etc...) and if I select either of the first three options it hangs before ever leaving that screen.  Any of the other options works.  As I've said, I've tried for almost a week to get three different versions of Linux to work on two different PCs and I really want to get into the Linux world (I'm a 14 year Microsoft vet), but I'm really getting frustrated.  Any help you guys could give to get this installed and get me going would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Re: First time startup/install hangs PLEASE HELP!

Try burning the iso at a lower speed like 4x or 8x...
    I had issues during the copy files phase of the installer until I did this.
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Re: First time startup/install hangs PLEASE HELP!

This shows you how to do a proper MD5sum to make sure the ISO you downloaded isn't corrupt... but, yes, you should also burn at a low speed to make sure it doesn't corrupt on burn...

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso.html
      Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
      X