This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mouse doesn't work in kde

Hey all, been working on lot's of issues with this pc, I eventually am going to make it a samba server as well as router/firewall, but have to learn some more about kubuntu first. For starters, no matter what I do, I can't seem to get my mouse to work. It's a plane ol logitech usb mouse, I even tried it with a ps/2 adapter and it just will NOT work. Troubleshooting steps for that would be good, I've been messing around a bit in the console to try and learn a few things, and I notice that ifconfig doesn't display any ethernet cards (system has two) anyone know what I need to do to configure those as well? Once I get those two things I can start on the rest of my goals!

Also, in mandriva (been using it for years), there is a drakconf console utility that does a LOT of work for you, is there an equivalent in kubuntu?

Thanks in advance for the help

Re: mouse doesn't work in kde

Mouse issue: Have you tested your mouse with another computer?

Ethernet issue: Try typing in a terminal:"ifconfig ethX up", where the X represents your card. My wireless card isusually called 0.

Good luck!

Comment

Yes I did test the mouse, and tried ifup, it's as if it never detected the ethernet card in the first place. As for the mouse, when I booted from the live CD it worked fine there, it wasn't until after install, the pc booted into kubuntu that the mouse didn't work.

Comment

Have you upgraded from Breezy to Dapper?

Comment

I'm running 6.0.6 I think that's dapper isn't it?

Comment

Thats dapper and just a few questions:
            1.) When you go to System Settings -> Network Settings do you see any ethernet cards. If you do what happens if you try to enable one (eth0).
            2.) What does your /etc/X11/xorg.conf look like.

Comment

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit, I've been busier than normal.
              I can't get into those settings as it doesn't appear kde works with hotkeys like you'd expect (win key doesn't pull up menu). I think I really need to figure out the mouse problem before I work on the ethernet issue.

*EDIT*
              on a side note I booted to the live cd just now, and went to system settings and network it shows both eth0 and eth1 as enabled. eth0 obtained an appropriate dhcp address (eth1 is unplugged untiL I get everything working then it'll be a router). Oh, and the mouse works in the live cd until I install it.

*EDIT*
              I think I might have found why the mouse doesn't work, under /etc/modules the module psmouse is in there but if you try to modprobe psmouse you get the error
              FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.17.3jm/modules.dep: No such file or directory

I wonder if this is the same problem with the ethernet card?

Any ideas?

Comment

Any ideas?
                I've looked at both my AMD-64 and 686 boxes and I find that the newest kernels available from the (K)Ubuntu repositories is 2.6.15-26, but you seem to be running a 2.6.17 kernel. Do you think that might have anything to do with your problem?

Comment

Working...
                X