X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Kubuntu - a few newbie questions

Hi all,

I've recently installed Kubuntu 11.10 successfully and things work well. I do have a few small, unrelated questions about a few random things:

1.) Before going to 11.10, I was using version 11.04. I did not do an upgrade but a fresh install. I'm now seeing an odd, intermittent issue in that when using the default KDE task bar, sometimes when I close an application, it stays in the task bar until I click the KDE Application Launcher. I did not notice this in 11.04. Is this a known issue or something funky specific to me?

2.) In Firefox, I am coming from Windows where the Backspace button would go back one page in history in the current tab. In Kubuntu this doesn't happen, even when the focus is not in a text box. Is there any way to make this work?

3.) Again coming from Windows, I like that each program I launch (or most of them) remember their window's size and position. But in KDE this is not the case. I need to go to the Special Window Settings popup manually for each window and set it to remember the size and position. Is there any way to have it do this automatically for each new program?

4.) Is there any way to hide the New Activity icon in the upper right corner?

5.) On Windows I like to use portable applications, ie applications that do not write to the registry or any place on your computer except their own folder. On Linux I don't see anything like that as programs seem to install in many places (Filezilla for example). Are there portable apps for Linux? What are the 'standard' places that Linux programs get installed to? In Windows I know it's Program Files.

6.) Is there any way to get program icons (ie for Firefox, Konsole) to the direct right of the KDE Application Launcher? I was able to do this in 11.04 but when trying to drag and drop icons there, they don't stick. I can get them to the left of the clock but not to the right of the Application Launcher.

Re: New to Kubuntu - a few newbie questions

Hi Annorax

I'll comment on your item (1) , it happens in my Oneric also.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by Annorax
      2.) In Firefox, I am coming from Windows where the Backspace button would go back one page in history in the current tab. In Kubuntu this doesn't happen, even when the focus is not in a text box. Is there any way to make this work?
      1. While in Firefox, open a tab and enter about:config
      2. In the Filter line, type backspace
      3. Change the value of browser.backspace_action to 0 (zero)

3.) Again coming from Windows, I like that each program I launch (or most of them) remember their window's size and position. But in KDE this is not the case. I need to go to the Special Window Settings popup manually for each window and set it to remember the size and position. Is there any way to have it do this automatically for each new program?
      I've noticed the same thing -- where in Natty windows would remember their previous positions, in Oneiric fewer windows exhibit this knowledge. Dunno why.

Comment

5.) On Windows I like to use portable applications, ie applications that do not write to the registry or any place on your computer except their own folder. On Linux I don't see anything like that as programs seem to install in many places (Filezilla for example). Are there portable apps for Linux? What are the 'standard' places that Linux programs get installed to? In Windows I know it's Program Files.
        http://portablelinuxapps.org/

Most application binaries are in: /usr/bin, /usr/games, /usr/local/bin

Read about GoboLinux, it's very interesting
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Just restore the window of your application.
          Drag the window to your desired size.
          Close the window.
          Launch the application , it will have the configured size.

works for me in oneiric...
          Loka samastha sukhino bhavanthu

Comment

Originally posted by r
            Just restore the window of your application.
            Drag the window to your desired size.
            Close the window.
            Launch the application , it will have the configured size.
            Reliably, Firefox always starts in the upper left corner of monitor #2 (which I've set to the default monitor). Occasionally, Thunderbird does the same. So something's a bit off...

Comment

Reliably, Firefox always starts in the upper left corner of monitor #2 (which I've set to the default monitor). Occasionally, Thunderbird does the same. So something's a bit off...
              Go to System Settings > Window Behaviour > Window Behaviour > Advanced>window tabbing > Placement.
              Choose the position you need.

Comment

Interesting, I hadn't experimented with that control before. I wish there were a global "remember" option. I seem to recall that's how all apps behaved in Natty. Now with Oneiric I observe that some windows remember their positions, while others don't.

Comment

6.) Is there any way to get program icons (ie for Firefox, Konsole) to the direct right of the KDE Application Launcher? I was able to do this in 11.04 but when trying to drag and drop icons there, they don't stick. I can get them to the left of the clock but not to the right of the Application Launcher.
                  right click on desktop and select unlock widgets(if not unlocked).
                  In menu right click on firefox icon and select add to panel.
                  it would be placed on the right side of the taskmanager and to the left of system tray.
                  Remove the widgets in your panel (dont forget to note their names) one by one.
                  widget egager,task manager...etc.
                  when the icon is in a satisfactory position.
                  right click on panel and add the removed widgets in your desired order.

Comment

Originally posted by r

right click on desktop and select unlock widgets(if not unlocked).
                    In menu right click on firefox icon and select add to panel.
                    it would be placed on the right side of the taskmanager and to the left of system tray.
                    Remove the widgets in your panel (dont forget to note their names) one by one.
                    widget egager,task manager...etc.
                    when the icon is in a satisfactory position.
                    right click on panel and add the removed widgets in your desired order.
                    you dont half to delete any widget's from the panel...........after you add say the firefox to the panel click the cashew(far right side of panel) and wile it's settings are displayed whatever you point the curser at on the panel will display the moving arrows and you may drag it to wherever you like

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks vinny

Comment

Working...
                      X