X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown instead of reboot

Hi all.
    I've installed kubuntu 11.10 yesterday and was really surprised - KDE worked fast without any lags that I saw in earlier versions.
    Everything was fine until I tried to reboot my PC (Acer 1825-ptz - tablet-convertible laptop - intel U7300, 3 GB of ram, Intel GMA 4500MHD, 320 GB internal HDD) - it just shutted down instead of rebooting with a short "crack" sound - like HDD stopped suddenly or something like that. I tried to do this few more times - result was always the same.
    Windows 7 installed alongside with kubuntu works fine and reboots with no problems. I never dealt with such problem in previous ubuntu / kubuntu versions.
    And the second important question for me - as I already said, my laptop is tablet-convertible and I use kvkbd virtual keyboard. It works fine, but is it possible to show it when logging in and screen unlocking ?

Re: Shutdown instead of reboot

What FS do you use (ext4, btrfs...)

Code:
    sudo shutdown -r 0
    ?

* bugfix when started without x running. Confirm working with KDM and --loginhelper option passed (tested in kubuntu)
    http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=94374
    Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Forgot to mention it.
      I use ext4 file system. Should I try to use different one ?

UPD. With "kdesudo shutdown -r 0" Laptop begins the reboot process and freezes after 3-4 sec with black screen.

Comment

Interesting, I don't know what this could be...

You could try adding the halt flag (-h, I think)
        Code:
        sudo shutdown -h -r 0
        I use Ext4 on my desktop, I use BtrFS on my laptop; and no prob on either one.

Comment

kdesudo is for GUI apps that knead to run as root.........you dont use it for commands.

try
          Code:
          sudo shutdown -r now
          or if no joy try
          Code:
          sudo reboot
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ya, thx. wjen I made the first post I was dead tired, the second was morning and OII hadn't waken up yet...

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
              I know you don't use plain sudo for GUI Apps, but I thought it was fine to press Alt+F2 & type 'kdesudo shutdown [ARGS] [INTERGER]'
              you are correct of course IF using the alt>F2 run dialog you must use the kdesudo to get the authorize dialog box .....I saw no reference to alt>F2 ubuve

so assumed a konsole........... and hear runing it that way (alt>F2) the reboot will stop at shuting down power managment .......A ctrl>alt>delete at this point will resume it.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I just tried Alt-F2 'kdesudo shutdown [ARGS] [INT]' and it didd't shutdown all the way, just like if I run 'sudo shutdown 0' over SSH

Comment

Working...
                X