Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Function keys to adjust screen brightness in Kububtu 11.10 (64-bit)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Function keys to adjust screen brightness in Kububtu 11.10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm running 11.10 (64-bit) on my Acer Aspire laptop (Intel GPU "HD Graphics 3000") and I was wondering how I map my function keys to adjust the brightness on the screen. Also, this may hint at a deeper problem than just setting those keys: the brightness adjustments in Power Management seem not to work.

Any thoughts? Driver issues?

Re: Function keys to adjust screen brightness in Kububtu 11.10 (64-bit)

Good day.

IO have this problem everytime with my dell vostro.

What you have to do is add the following into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
    {if you doint have the file you will have to create it}

Code:
     edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf to add the following line in Section "Device":

Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"

edit /etc/default/grub to change the line into:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

run the command:

sudo update-grub

reboot
    Hope THis helps

Comment

Ugh,

So, after the Kubuntu splash screen all I get is a black screen, though I am able to adjust the brightness...

Fantastic.

Edit: what caused the problem--step 1 or 2?

Comment

My understanding is that EnableBrightnessControl only works for nVidia graphics. I don't recall seeing that referenced for either ATI or Intel.

Did you have an xorg.conf before you made the change? Ordinarily this file is no longer needed except for those of us running proprietary graphics drivers.

Another thread here on the forums includes some other suggestions you might try. You should first undo the changes you made, though, and then try each suggestion one at a time, including disabling the ACPI backlight control as documented on the Kubuntu wiki.

Comment

So, I'm back up after nano-editing grub back to its original state and deleting that xorg.conf file (which wasn't there originally).

EDIT: I got it to work, though, without the brightness-level meter (?), but that's OK (unless there's an easy fix for it)!

Code:
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux noapic"
          Thanks, guys!

Comment

The brightness-level meter is no more, unless it's a Desktop Theme related issue.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X