Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone succesfully using Nautilus on KDE - with gvfs cifs mounts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone succesfully using Nautilus on KDE - with gvfs cifs mounts?

Hi

The "add network folder" functionality in Dolphin is average. SMB4K is OK for now.

What was better IMHO (before i moved to Kubuntu) was plain Ubuntu Nautilus and the ability to mount windows shares on the fly. I'm NOT talking about adding entries to fstab. I shouldn't need to. Nor should I need to use smb4k with hardcoded IPs (yes my server has multiple IPs so you can't use the DNS names due to a bug).

So...Is anyone using Nautilus to mount windows shares on KDE? Do you get the magic ~/.gvfs directory created?

thanks,

Re: Anyone succesfully using Nautilus on KDE - with gvfs cifs mounts?

The CIFS slave for KIO would do very nicely for this if it not only established the connection but also created the mount. The connection is sufficient for applications that allow you to specify a protocol in a file dialog, like smb://server/share. Alas, most don't -- this why GVFS's automount works so well. I've been unable to find a KIO equivalent that works like GVFS.

Comment

Gigolo (gtk) seems to be working nicely in KDE (no Nautilus needed). You need to install gigolo, gvfs-fuse and gvfs-backends. It creates the ~/.gvfs dir and things look great.

Just got one small problem with file permissions. Copying a file TO the mounted server using Dolphin i get the error "Could not change permissions for <file>"

Comment

Personally I use Ubuntu with Krusader. The main reason I choose to mount samba shares with gvfs is that gvfs manages to disconnect and umount the drive in a way that Krusader will hang for a limited time if the drive is not accessible.
        Well, I will be quite happy if someone shares a way to fix this annoyance - The warning message that appears when a file is copied. If there is a way to disable warning messages in KDE (Krusader) I am ready to even go with this method. Please, share

Comment

Working...
        X