X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to KDE: Help with a couple of things

Hello,

I've just migrated from Ubuntu to Kubuntu because I officialy hate Gnome3 and Unity.
    I find KDE much more user friendly.

But... I have a couple of problems, maybe you can help me...

1. Links to wine applications are blank...
    For example, I've installed Lotus Notes which has a yellow native icon, I can see it of I rest my mouse on the icon (as a preview), it shows corectly on the desktop (because Preview Icons is enabled), but I can't get it to show off in the Main Menu or on the panel.

Instead of the native icon, it shows me a blank white page with a question mark on it... please help

2. I have an encrypted SSH key (.ssh/id_rsa).
    I want to be able to log in to remote SSH server using my key, WITHOUT having to type in the passphrase everytime.

This was done PERFECTLY in Gnome with Seahorse... it stored my password, launched the ssh-agent automatically when I tried to ssh or sftp on to a remote host.
    I don't know.. ssh-agent and KWallet doesn't seem to work in combinantion...
    I've tried askpass.. no results...

3. a DECENT weather applet for KDE for my location.
    In GNOME, it was perfect, it showed the real temperature, and the status of the weather....
    The Weather Forcast widget on my panel does not show the ACTUAL weather outsite...

I need something like the Gnome-Applet.

Please help with these 3 problems...

Thank you !

Re: New to KDE: Help with a couple of things

#1 sounds like the program is not providing an icon. thats not an issue i have ever had, either way ez enuff to fix . open up the menu editor and find the entry and give it an icon (click on the icon to select a new one)

#2 just put your key in ~/.ssh thats all you need todo.

#3 there are TONS of weather widgets , one i would recommend is "YAWP" you can get it by clicking your "cashew" and the get new widget -> from internet. either search the widgets or just browse thru them (get new stuff is awesome , and lots of things have it.)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks ... but:

1: it provides, it is an exe file with auto builtin icon... that's why the Preview shows the correct icon... on the panel is the problem...

2: of course it is in .ssh ... it always has been... that is deffinetly not the problem...

3: I've installed YAWP ... it shows me the Maximum and Minimum temperature per day... I need the exact temperature for NOW... not what would be at night or at noon...

Comment

Originally posted by Anquietas
        2: of course it is in .ssh ... it always has been... that is deffinetly not the problem...
        install 'ksshaskpass' package?
        (Some tips here: http://www.unicom.com/blog/entry/612)

3: I've installed YAWP ... it shows me the Maximum and Minimum temperature per day... I need the exact temperature for NOW... not what would be at night or at noon...
        Umm...Yawp shows the current temperature on my end?

Comment

I like Customizable Weather Plasmoid (CWP) - it's more configurable - but the other of the weather plasmoids do show actual temperature (at closest airport/weather station)

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=98925

Should be in the repositories

Code:
          sudo apt-get install plasma-widget-cwp
          ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Hi every body !

At first, sorry for my bad english, i'm french and i just learn english at school a long time ago !!! :P

I try to install a beautiful applet for the meteo on my desk.

I've try what said Summary, but without succes...

Is there something more simple for a biginner ??

Thanks a lot
            Kubuntu 11.10 - French

Comment

Originally posted by Anquietas
              Perhaps you haven't configured it completely? I use yaWP and it definitely shows me the current temperature, plus conditions (like cloudy or sunny), and if I hover over it I get both graphical and text forecasts for the next several days--all of this per my configuration choices.

[select for larger image]

[img width=400 height=176]http://www.smartassproducts.com/images/kubuntuforums/yawp.png[/img]

Note that I'm using 11.04, not 11.10.
              Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

It is ok right now ! Thanks
                Kubuntu 11.10 - French

Comment

Working...
                X