This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba in 11.10

I just installed 11.10 a few days ago, and have been trying to get Samba to work.

I downloaded additional Samba packages, specifically the ones for the GUI configuration tools. Now I have an icon named Samba, which runs system-config-samba. When I click on it I have to type in the root password, then nothing happens. I looked in /var/log and /var/log/samba thinking there would be something there, but I don't see any errors related to what I am trying to do (maybe I'm looking in the wrong file?).

Since the GUI route was being a pain, I edited smb.conf and added a share. However, other computers are still unable to log in despite using the correct login credentials. My Linux box is unable to see any Windows computers, despite being in the same subnet, same workgroup. I also made sure that my user has correct permissions to the directory in question as well as its parent directories.

Any suggestions as to where I should look to get this working? Any log files that might help, or additional packages I might need to ensure I have downloaded?

Re: Samba in 11.10

I'm having the same problem with system-config-samba. I don't even get as far as it asking for a password. I can't get my shares working one bit. I try to use Dolphin's little samba setup, but my shares won't even show up.

Anyone with some advice?

Comment

Re: Samba in 11.10

@charles52, i've never used the gui tools to set up samba, i would suggest you edit your /etc/smb.conf

@Snowman1979, be sure they are all in the same workgroup.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
      X