Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Desktop icons for custom apps (gnome)

Originally posted by gbr
    Hi,

Once I have a link set up for the app, I can change the icon. I'm wondering why KDE4 blocks me from changing an applications (sitting on the desktop) icon on a per application basis.

Gerald
    because you are not changing the icon for a program you are changing an icon for a type of file.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by gbr
      Once I have a link set up for the app, I can change the icon. I'm wondering why KDE4 blocks me from changing an applications (sitting on the desktop) icon on a per application basis.
      And where should that information be stored? Linux executables don't contain icons. You need a text file to store which icon is to be used.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondus
        Originally posted by gbr
        And where should that information be stored? Linux executables don't contain icons. You need a text file to store which icon is to be used.
        Gnome 2 did it.

Comment

your manually placing a file that is executable. when that is done it does not have entry in either /usr/share/application or a matching file in the /usr/share/pixmaps folder it should not be automaticly receving an icon. it should get the generic icon for the 'executable' class of files.

when you install a package part of whats happening is that there is a .desktop file placed in /usr/share/applications and an icon put into /usr/share/pixmaps. the desktop file put into the /usr/share/applications looks like this

Originally posted by my projects .desktop file
          [Desktop Entry]
          Exec=/usr/bin/blackchocobo
          Icon=Black_Chocobo.png
          see the exec and icon entries. when u launch an exe from the menu or place it on your desktop from the menu it uses these settings because the DE looks for this .desktop file to find programs. (also /usr/share/menu). as defined in the freedesktop standards.if you don't have this set up then you are changing the icon for a generic executable filetype not a specific program .i hope that helps to explain a bit better. if gnome 2 was doing it this way its something that is the "correct" behavor for a DE. (see standards)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X