X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could not get lock

I am having difficulty installing Java.

I have recently installed Kubuntu 11.10 64 bit on a new 500GB HD, 4GB ram, Intel core2, Dell Inspiron 640m which previously had a HD with MS Vista.

I have followed an older topic with a similar Subject.

After 'sudo apt-get install -f', I continue to get
    E: Could not get lock /var/cache/apt/archives/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock directory /var/cache/apt/archives/

I don't think anything other than Terminal is running.

Re: Could not get lock

This problem is USUALLY caused by another package management program running at the same time. Only one package program can be running at a time -- the program sets up a lock file that prevents others from running.

To find out what is happening, when you get this error, try:

ps aux | grep apt
    and
    ps aux | grep dpkg

if ither of those give you any results other than grep, you have a running package management program that will prevent others from running.

It is also possible that a package program has died, without erasing its lock file. See:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=94045

for the fix.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: Could not get lock

Thanks for the help.

I found another package management running. It was the automatic update. After restarting that and waiting for it to complete all is back to normal and I now have both Java and Flash installed.

Now back to installing more packages; Thunderbird or Evolution? - decisions, decisions!

I've been using Office 2010

Comment

Working...
      X