This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaffiene won't play videos

I know I went through this once before with amarok, after updating to ocelot with a fresh install I installed kaffiene but it will not play videos...avi, mkv etc...I know its a simple matter to install the codecs...are they called codecs in linux? anyway i just forget how to get them, a little push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Re: Kaffiene won't play videos

Kaffeine has a hard dependency on xine, and the phonon-xine package is not being maintained: http://wm161.net/2011/09/08/phonon-x...non-gstreamer/

You might want to try vlc or another media player.

Other codec issues are covered here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Comment

Yeah right on, I installed VLC, I just remember having VLC on windows ages ago and not liking it, but so far I like the way everything is set up in it, not sure what it was that bothered me before. Thanks for the advice, too bad kaffeine is no longer supported, I always liked it.

Comment

Kaffeine is still supported, although Dragon Player is the 'default' video player now. I had problems getting Dragon Player to read/play commercial DVD's in 11.10 (was not a problem in earlier releases of Kubuntu) so I installed Kaffeine, and after installing the necessary non-free packages (see Medibuntu) all was good.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by marqueemark
          too bad kaffeine is no longer supported, I always liked it.
          I was always a fan of kaffeine also. Right now I am on the smplayer bandwagon as I like the interface better than vlc. Might want to check it out.
          FKA: tanderson

Comment

Kaffiene will work with other backends, including Gstreamer -- so I've read, at least. All we need is for the package maintainer to remove the hard dependency...

Comment

Working...
            X