Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Well...Now That I Know, What Do I Do?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Well...Now That I Know, What Do I Do?

Yet another silly question from the Nexus of Noobness...

I keep getting a notification that updates are available, another one that tells me that an app crashed sometime in the distant past and so forth. The system is very good about keeping me abreast of such things, to its credit, but having now been informed of such things, what do I do with this information? That is, now that I know that updates are available, how do I actually *get* them? Clicking on the notification itself simply makes it go away without further ado - a sort of implicit "Good luck getting there from here!"

Suggestions?
    CPU: AMD-64 dual-core, 2.8 GHz, 4 GiB RAM, <br />Kubuntu: V11.04<br />Kubuntu User: Noob V1.04<br />KDE 4.6.2<br />Dolphin V1.6.1<br />Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200

Re: Well...Now That I Know, What Do I Do?

If you want to follow the path I've taken, perform all updates and package management from a console (command line).

When you see the update notifier, open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    (this step isn't absolutely necessary, as it was done (behind the scene) when you booted your PC, or if you leave it on all the time, once each day. But I still want to ensure the package cache is up to date 'as of now' so I do it anyway)
    Then
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Well...Now That I Know, What Do I Do?

Thank you Snowhog. It worked.

As apt-get seems to be quite useful -- it has made a number of appearances lately in replies to my queries -- it's off to study apt-get's man page for me. Not exactly coffee-table fluff and quite 'canonical' looking, but looks to be a lot of meat there [Oh yes, Snowhog; I've discovered 'man' pages. Will wonders never cease!? ]

Take care and thanks again for your excellent help,
      Tex

CPU: AMD-64 dual-core, 2.8 GHz, 4 GiB RAM, <br />Kubuntu: V11.04<br />Kubuntu User: Noob V1.04<br />KDE 4.6.2<br />Dolphin V1.6.1<br />Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200

Comment

Working...
      X