Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emergency, I screwed up. Error: Failed to fetch the resource collection.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency, I screwed up. Error: Failed to fetch the resource collection.

I have serious medical problems and my kontact records are not available.

KDE 4.7.1 Kubuntu 11.10 rc

Recently I got tired of seeing the upgrade to Natty 11.10 rc, so I upgraded. It was a long process that failed when trying to reboot. I then, using my live CD, downloaded and installed Kubuntu Natty 11.10rc. I had to because I could not boot the computer.

When I attempted to configure kontact/kmail, I got the error: KMail encountered a fatal error and will terminate now.

The error was:
    Failed to fetch the resource collection.

I have several medical appointments where I have to call for a ride, 3 days in advance of the appointment. I have all the instructions and appointments in kontact, but both kontact and kmail close with the above error message, and I do not know how to fix the problem. I am in a panic, because I am old and my memory is not sufficient to bring back all the details to fix by calling referral doctors, transportation with advance warning. Kontact was the only thing that kept me from screwing up. My health problems are quite serious. Please help.

Re: Emergency, I screwed up. Error: Failed to fetch the resource collection.

Migration to kmail2 in oneiric is problematic for many, but don't panic...yet.

Here's a few things to start with:

1. Until you can fix the fatal error on kontact, you can try launching korganizer (kde calendar) as a standalone app (not integrated into kontact) if you need access to your calendar. Alt+f2 and run "korganizer".

2. If korganizer won't work either, you should be able to open up your calendar file with any calendar app that supports ics calendar files (the default calendar should be ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics...you might wish to back that file up just in case)

3. To fix your actual issue (kontact not starting), you can start with this thread that discusses migration errors:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3118353

Comment

Hi....

Even better, you have my prayers

I was able to find this page concerning your issue.

From "Featherfoot" over at the Gentoo forums, who had the same problem: "I started Akonadi Console as you described, and eventually found the Mail Dir folder setting that was not initialized and set it up. I restarted Akonadi and then KMail started."

However, he/she also states: "As far as I can tell, it didn't import my outgoing mail settings and all of my saved folder settings are gone."

You may suffer the same results but you might be able to get back what you lost.

Hope this helps...
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Dear Cubicle,

I followed the address you mentioned in your reply and found 2 std.ics files. The first does not contain any data, the second has a tilde after the address, and it contains the data I need. I used Kate to open it, however the information contained within is organized in a way I am unable to read with confidence. I tried to import it to both default and new korganizer, however I obviously did it wrong and do not understand how to complete the task. I thought that possibly just moving the tilde from the file that contains data to the file that is empty might work, but I am concerned that choice may be wrong and that by doing so, I might lose the data altogether.

I found the necessary information for today through Sunday, but if possible, could you help me try to fix this before Monday. I am pretty sure I have things I am supposed to do then. Thanks so much for the help so far; it looks like I haven't lost the data.

Comment

Dear Ardvark71,

I have taken your advice about prayer. Thanks for trying to help. It is the data that I desperately need; and I have found it, nonetheless, I haven't been able to transfer that data into the korganizer GUI and the information is difficult to understand in it's present form. Thanks for your effort, especially prayer, Shabakthanai

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai
            I thought that possibly just moving the tilde from the file that contains data to the file that is empty might work, but I am concerned that choice may be wrong and that by doing so, I might lose the data altogether.
            Firstly, make a few copies of the std.ics~ file, you can name them as mycalendar.ics and mycalendar.ics.bak (for example)...that should make sure you don't lose the data even if things go wrong (you can make a few additional copies if you wish to be *really* sure). You can then remove the '~' from std.ics~.

I tried to import it to both default and new korganizer, however I obviously did it wrong and do not understand how to complete the task.
            So I take it you can start korganizer?

Does File>Import>Import Calendar>(browse to the .ics file and import) work?
            (you can try to import the mycalendar.ics file you made previously)

If it doesn't, do you get any error messages?

Comment

Dear Ardvark71,

I have taken your advice about prayer. Thanks for trying to help. It is the data that I desperately need; and I have found it, nonetheless, I haven't been able to transfer that data into the korganizer GUI and the information is difficult to understand in it's present form. Thanks for your effort, especially prayer, Shabakthanai
              Hi....

That's fine, the information I gave might help if you want to see if you can get Kmail working in the future.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                I thought that possibly just moving the tilde from the file that contains data to the file that is empty might work, but I am concerned that choice may be wrong and that by doing so, I might lose the data altogether.
                Firstly, make a few copies of the std.ics~ file, you can name them as mycalendar.ics and mycalendar.ics.bak (for example)...that should make sure you don't lose the data even if things go wrong (you can make a few additional copies if you wish to be *really* sure). You can then remove the '~' from std.ics~.

I tried to import it to both default and new korganizer, however I obviously did it wrong and do not understand how to complete the task.
                Yes, but it is empty.
                So I take it you can start korganizer? Yes but it doesn't contain my appointments.

Does File>Import>Import Calendar>(browse to the .ics file and import) work? No, and it appears that it is trying to open multiple files, several.
                (you can try to import the mycalendar.ics file you made previously)I created a 'mycalendar.ics' file, but when it opens, it is an empty korganizer. Additionally, I tried to import and the import fails with what appears like trying to open several files of the same name.

If it doesn't, do you get any error messages? 'Default Calendar' then repeats'Default Calendar:' then 'Calendar not loaded.' with a cascading several error tries. About 4 show, but it looks like many more are repeated or tried without finally printing them in the cascade. Additionally there are machine sounds for each attempt.

When I made the mycalendar.ics file, I opened it using kate and the data from the std.ics.~ was in the file. Perhaps I am doing this wrong. Here is how I attempt import: I open 'korganizer'>File>Import>Import calendar...>select 'mycalendar.ics' and Calendar~KOrganizer opens with a window in the center of the application which is entitled 'Import Calendar~Korganizer; the contents of the window are: Please select import method for calendar at file:///home/steven/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/mycalendat.ics.. Then two options with radio buttons appear and are as follows: Add as new calendar and Merge into existing calendar with the second preselected. I click OK and a smaller window opens with two choices: Default Calendar and Personal Calendar. I select Default Calendar and click OK, then multiple error messages appear with sounds for each indicating the cascading errors mentioned in the previous paragraph relating to 'Calendar not loaded.

Thanks for your continued help.

Comment

Try importing the mycalendar.ics file as a new calendar (instead of merging to existing one), there could be something wrong with your current calendar resource.

You can check your calendar resources in korganizer>Settings>ConfigureKorganizer>General>Ca lendars-tab:
                  ...are there any calendars configured?
                  ...are they marked as "ready" or displaying an error message?

Comment

They read as follows:

std.ics
                    No file selected

Akonadi_ical_resource_1
                    No file selected

Birthdays
                    No file selected''

Personal Calendar
                    No file selected

Default Calendar
                    Ready

Birthdays & Anniversaries
                    Ready

The "No file selected" entries have a red X in a box preceding the comment. I suspect that is what you mean by 'Error Message'. If not, there are no error messages.

Thanks for your continued help.

Thanks, my calendar is back. Kontact and Kmail still do not work. I can use my gmail account to handle necessary email, however it would also be nice to have kontact and kmail working again. Should that be a separate post? I am so very grateful. I was very concerned and now the pressure is lifted.

Comment

I suspect that is what you mean by 'Error Message'.
                      Yes, those are the errors, you seem to have quite a few calendar resources (some might have been created by those unsuccessful import attempts).

Try these steps next:
                      1. Choose the "Akonadi_ical_resource_1", click modify.
                      2. In the dialog, add your mycalendar.ics to the "File name" field (you can open a file browser with the button on the right)...You can also name the calendar in the "Name" field.
                      3. Click Ok, proceed to the next step if/when the calendar shows as "Ready"
                      4. Make sure your calendars are selected as shown in the bottom of the korganizer sidebar, if you don't see the calendars in the sidebar check that korganizer>Settings>Sidebar>ShowCalendarManager is checked

Comment

[color=green]Thanks, my calendar is back.
                        Ah...I see you figured it out.

For the kmail/kontact issue, there were a couple of threads about it, this was the latest:
                        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3118705

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                          I suspect that is what you mean by 'Error Message'.
                          Yes, those are the errors, you seem to have quite a few calendar resources (some might have been created by those unsuccessful import attempts).

Try these steps next:
                          1. Choose the "Akonadi_ical_resource_1", click modify.
                          2. In the dialog, add your mycalendar.ics to the "File name" field (you can open a file browser with the button on the right)...You can also name the calendar in the "Name" field.After entering mycalendar.ics to both fields, the OK button does not activate, so only Cancel is activated. When I click on Cancel or X, the box minimizes and also the entries that I made are deleted.
                          3. Click Ok, proceed to the next step if/when the calendar shows as "Ready"
                          4. Make sure your calendars are selected as shown in the bottom of the korganizer sidebar, if you don't see the calendars in the sidebar check that korganizer>Settings>Sidebar>ShowCalendarManager is checkedI was unable to find the choice 'ShowCalendarManager'

Comment

After entering mycalendar.ics to both fields, the OK button does not activate, so only Cancel is activated. When I click on Cancel or X, the box minimizes and also the entries that I made are deleted.
                            I got the impression (from your last edit) that you already got your calendar back, so this is sort of moot, but did you include the path to the mycalendar.ics file in the "File name" field (just "mycalendar.ics" is not enough)...you can use the "browse" button to browse to the file (this will add the path automatically). The "Name" field can be anything you like. (You don't need to do this if you already got your calendar, you'd probably only get multiple calendars with the same data).

I was unable to find the choice 'ShowCalendarManager'
                            Hmm...that's a tad odd...which selections do you have? (This is not a big deal if you already have your calendar visible)

Comment

I just reviewed my work and have found the 'ShowCalendarManager'. Furthermore, following your recommendations I have been able to import the calendar. I have even gotten the Kmail portion of Korganizer and Kmail to receive emails, however, I am having trouble sending emails. When I send an email from my Kmail client, it remains in the 'outbox'. All outgoing mail remains in the out box.

When I use my Internet service provider's email client to send an email to myself, Kmail receives the sent email successfully.

Roadrunner, my Internet service provider, is convinced that the problem is with the Kmail application. I am inclined to agree with them. There are so few options in the SMTP configuration that I don't believe I am able to mis-configure the 'smtp' portion of the package.

Under the 'General' tab of KOrganizer Main Configuration, here is what appears: akonadi_ical_resource_1; a red box with an X and No file selected indicates that there is a problem. Additionally, I show Personal Calendar as Ready, Default Calendar and Ready and Birthday & Anniversaries as Ready.

Is it possible that the akonadi_ical_resource_1 contains an error that is causing the 'sending' problem using Kmail? If so, how do I locate this document? Do I edit using Kate? What am I looking for that may be irregular?

Both Default and personal calendar contain the same data, as you suggested.

Comment

Working...
                              X