X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtualbox on 11.10

Hello guys,

A couple of week ago I installed Kubuntu 11.04 - it was great. Everything I wanted installed smoothly and I did not have to use any command line, which by the way, I have absolutely no knowledge of.
    I installed Virtualbox and it was working fine.

Today I have upgraded to 11.10. Virtualbox is not working - that is, when I try to open a VM I get a message telling me I should install Virtualbox-dkms and 'modprobe vboxdrv'.

As far as I can see on the Software Management, virtualbox-dkms is installed.

I have opened the terminal and typed "modprobe vboxdrv" -- I get the answer that the module is not installed.

Is there any suggestions? Please give them step-by-step as I am not familiarez with Linux at all. I have been using the platform for a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Neco

Re: Virtualbox on 11.10

re-install virtualbox. The drivers are not updating during the upgrade.

Please Read Me

Comment

Vbox works fine in 11.10, I have been using it almost daily.

you need to rebuild the vbox modules every time you get a new kernel, else install the package 'dkms', I don't think that virtualbox-dkms is needed for this.

dkms rebuilds certain kernel modules (such as virtualbox's) automatically when a new kernel is installed.

So to fix it, first make sure you have installed dkms, then run this command:

Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
      if you reinstall, that process should run the above command in the background, then afterwards, dkms will keep it updated for you.

Comment

Hello guys,

I have uninstalled, turned the machine off/on and re-installed Virtualbox.

Gave the "sudo etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup" command and got a:
        "etc/init.d/vboxdrv: command not found" message

Not sure what to do now. Thank you for any help.

Neco

Comment

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You forgot the leading / before etc.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

/ included, but result is still the same: "command not found"

Frustrating!

Neco

Comment

Please tell us the output of the command

Code:
              ll /etc/init.d/v*
              Here's mine:

Code:
              -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8439 2011-06-27 07:23 /etc/init.d/vboxballoonctrl-service*
              -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12671 2011-10-03 08:09 /etc/init.d/vboxdrv*
              -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 8360 2011-06-27 07:23 /etc/init.d/vboxweb-service*
              Also, you might consider using Oracle's installer instead. It's more up-to-date, with version 4.1.4.

Comment

SOLVED: Virtualbox on 11.10

Hello guys,

Done! It is working again... thank you for all your input - putting everything together I got there.

This is what I have done:
                - Unistalled Virtualbox and dependencies (virtaulbox-dkms; virtualbox-ose-dkmsl etc.)
                - Installed Virtualbox from Oracle's website
                - Tried to run, but couldn't - message to install dkms and setup vboxdrv
                - Tried to install dkms, got message to install linux-headers-generic-3.0.0.12-PAE
                - Installed linux-headers above.
                - Installed dkms - smoothly this time.
                - setup vboxdrv smoothly this time.
                Virtualbox is back on track!!!

Thank you again,

Neco

Comment

Working...
                X