Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blank/Screen after suspend ... also Resolution problems --- all on Kubuntu 11.04

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank/Screen after suspend ... also Resolution problems --- all on Kubuntu 11.04

Hi! Thanks for having me on this great forum.
    I have an Acer Aspire one laptop (AO751h) on which I just installed Kubuntu 11.04. It's actually a great OS, and runs rather smoothly; however I've got two problems that need to be resolved:

1. When the computer goes to sleep, on resume the screen remains blank/black (but I think it's resumed OK, otherwise, because the HD kicks in).

2. the resolution has only 3 options (1024x768 or 800x600 or Disabled); I have it set to 1024x768, but the windows at this resolution don't display all content contained within (overflowing text, images, etc.)

Here are my specs (requested in the post " >>>PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING IN HELP THE NEW GUY<<< " :

-Release: Kubuntu 11.04 natty

-KDE: Platform Version 4.6.2

-Grub: v 0.97-29ubuntu61

-No other OS is installed.

About my PC:

-Type: laptop
    -CPU: Intel Atom, 32-bit
    -GPU: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    HD: just one internal HD ... (and also the following, which my konsole pulled up!):
    multcount = 16 (on)
    IO_support = 0 (default)
    readonly = 0 (off)
    readahead = 256 (on)
    geometry = 19457/255/63, sectors = 312581808, start = 0

Optical Drives: N/A.

Hope you can help. Please, really do give as easy-to-follow info as you can, as I'd really like to learn how to use Linux well, esp. executing commands and understanding how to read the command line,etc. Thanks very much!
    Never say never.

Re: Blank/Screen after suspend ... also Resolution problems --- all on Kubuntu 11.04

Did you try the Emgd driver ??
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...eoCardsPoulsbo

Comment

Re: Blank/Screen after suspend ... also Resolution problems --- all on Kubuntu 11.04

Intel video cards with 1366x768 resolution can be a problem. Use the drivers from xorg-edgers

In a terminal:
      sudo add-apt-repository ppaorg-edgers/ppa
      sudo apt-get update

Then run kpackagetkit and install the updated packages and see if that helps the video.

Please Read Me

Comment

@oshunluvr

...can you explain why xorgedgers should help with this very special GMA 500 problem ?Suggesting to add xorgedgers ppa as a shot in the dark ?
        ...why do you ignore my suggestion?
        ...and btw, xorg.edgers explicitly say:
        ** Please do not publish instructions for how to install from this archive without linking to this page! Anyone using packages from this archive is expected to read this page first and it is recommended to check back occasionally for notice on problems that may arise. **

@ ThreadStarter

Do not add xorg.edgers if you do not know why.

Run those commands:
        Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gma500/emgd
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install xorg-emgd emgd-dkms emgd-xorg-conf
        sudo emgd-xorg-conf
        Reboot..

Comment

Originally posted by realzippy
          ...can you explain why xorgedgers should help with this very special GMA 500 problem ?Suggesting to add xorgedgers ppa as a shot in the dark ?
          A little bit of Googling leads me to believe that most of the GMA500 problems have been solved at the kernel level. For example: here and here (quite lengthy).

Comment

Originally posted by realzippy

OK. I installed this driver, and now the resolution is at 1366 x 768 (truly sleek, and the window content is all in place!), but the blank screen after suspend problem has not only remained, but perhaps worsened, because after resuming, there appears a flashing blue and black screen (before only static blank screen), and the OS does not seem to be running in the "background" as it seemed to be before installing the Emgd driver. Any clues?

Also, is it recommended that I install all the latest driver updates for natty found on this same link?

Thanks!

Anyway, I have to say that working with Linux is sometimes like being on a naval ship with lots of holes: once fixed, there appear others to fix... but that's precisely what I like about Linux (not just all "pre-made" for you)... more control, like driving with a stick shift!
            Never say never.

Comment

Originally posted by transcender
              Also, is it recommended that I install all the latest driver updates for natty found on this same link?
              ...which do you mean ?
              Originally posted by transcender
              ... once fixed, there appear others to fix... but that's precisely what I like about Linux
              ....yep.I just tried to find something in the GMA500 Megathread SteveRiley posted:
              http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...29345&page=375
              for your emgd/natty/suspend issue.
              A few K posts,read a few hundred,starting with #3000;well,this is no real fun,because Ubuntu versions are pretty mixed up in that thread...
              One thing I found which also is mentioned as a workaround for suspend:
              Code:
              sudo mv /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video /usr/lib/pm-utils/99video

Comment

One thing I found which also is mentioned as a workaround for suspend:
                Code:
                sudo mv /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video /usr/lib/pm-utils/99video
                That solved the sleep problem (along with the hibernate one, too)!

Thanks a lot everyone, esp. "realzippy".
                Never say never.

Comment

Working...
                X