Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Kernel Does Kubuntu 10.04.3 Load/Upgrade With?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Kernel Does Kubuntu 10.04.3 Load/Upgrade With?

8)

Please Read Me

Comment

Perhaps I was a bit hasty about the swap partition. I believe that the Alternative CDs automatically prompt to add a swap partition. I probably skimmed over that with the Kubuntu 10.04.3 Desktop CD.

I'm truly ashamed but I installed Windows XP on this laptop. For some reason, the Kubuntu install cropped the screen area, EVEN WHEN BOOTING INTO THE BIOS UTILITY but XP fixed that.

Great suggestions. As far as puppy, I've tried that route and is my reason for posting here. It didn't jump up and dance on my old Sony Vaio Laptop, as chronicled here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71934

So y'all have given me two suggestions to research, Lubuntu & Bodhi Linux (http://bodhilinux.com/).

Egads SteveRiley, you Wasciwy Wabbit, you have found me out!!!

Many thanks, I'll look at those and await any more helpful advice.

Comment

Originally posted by elludium_q-36
        I'm truly ashamed but I installed Windows XP on this laptop. For some reason, the Kubuntu install cropped the screen area, EVEN WHEN BOOTING INTO THE BIOS UTILITY but XP fixed that.
        So this is the second time we've seen a report of pre-OS boot problems. There was another thread recently -- but my usually awsum search skillz seem to be failing -- where someone's computer would no longer boot from CD after attempting an install because somehow the computer began ignoring the instructions to boot from BIOS. These reports are really mystifying. What's going on?

Comment

Some motherboards, notably Asus, have a pre-Grub "firmware" in addition to BIOS, that runs at boot time. I helped a guy sort one of them out here in my town, and there's a post somewhere on this forum about it. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: here it is -- "Splashtop" in the case of Asus. It can hold a complete desktop screen, and does so. I'll bet a "wrong" screen resolution was saved to that utility firmware.

Comment

I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT. I'm no genius nor can I write code directly in binary, etc. but I've been around a machine or two. I knew there had to be some sort of firmware switch/settings that I couldn't see in the BIOS.

People in the Puppy Linux forum kept saying my DVD/CD drive was defective. If that were true, how could it have installed Kubuntu and Windows?

I'll have to make time to read that five page thread but I see GreyGeek wrote:
            Thanks, Dibl!

That looks like part of a Windows lock-in plan, and one mobo I will avoid in the future.
            In the Puppy Linux forum I posted this:
            In the first post of the thread, I wrote that it is a Sony Vaio ( Machine Name: PCG-R505TSK). It has 384MB of RAM, 40G-HDD and is a PIII. Here's your spec's: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/spe...05TSK_mksp.pdf

There's also a "how to" on installing another O.S. HERE:
            http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...OC=3#/howtoTab

Of course, it like this: "Premium Services: Operating System Installation".
            I shouldn't need to tell you the applied meaning of "Premium".
            Imagine having to pay some bugger to root out malicious software such as Wingdings from hardware you fully own. It's like a pest service releasing gophers, ground hogs, squirrels, rodents, flies, gnats, mosquitoes and all the like in your home & garden, then holding a hand out for money to get rid of the %$#@ things.

I'll read the other thread but would appreciate any help as that may interfere with Lubuntu/Bodhi Linux and I might even want to try to spin up Puppy with MY CD/DVD drive. 8)

Comment

Well I tried Bodhi, Lubuntu and even Puppy, all live.

Bodhi complained about not finding "live" files or environment and halted in it's tracks, without dumping to a command prompt or powering down.

Lubuntu had the screen cropped by about 1 1/2" (3.5cm), all around and the cursor pointer was about an inch higher and an inch to the left of where the cursor action happened.

Puppy did the same with the cursor and the screen. Also it only worked every few boots, AFTER I copied a file from the CD to the HDD. Seems it doesn't even know it's own name or what's in it's own bag of goodies. Glad I didn't let the "good people" on the puppy forum talk me into JUST writing their files to my HDD. I'm not sure how writing Linux files into a Windows partition would work but am glad I didn't try.

Kubuntu spun up live but was slow with the screen cropped. The cursor only did funhy stuff within applications, which was more tolerable. Maybe, just maybe, an install of Kubuntu with plenty of swap...

As for the Splashtop, I wish I knew I didn't have to read the whole other thread. I was tired last night after screwing around with all those distros. But from the Wikipedia article, it seems my hardware predates that. Still, some other low level firmware is at fault. When I tried to hibernate my Kubuntu 8.04 box to run a live CD, it ignored the CDs and booted to Kubuntu so I suspect that O.S.es interact with BIOS level firmware. Well for years the O.S. has been able to set the BIOS clock so it follows that the O.S. can set extended configurations and things hidden from an admin-user.

Comment

Working...
              X