This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Linux read Mac?

I've noticed that there are software programs that are starting to be written for MS and Mac [ViaCAD].
    I was just wondering what if anything is needed for Linux to read the Mac software and or utility Drivers for some hardware/Firmware like in wireless routers?
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Re: Can Linux read Mac?

Generally: No, you cannot install Mac software on linux.

You can exchange data files (just like with windows)

The Mac OS is completely tied to their hardware making it almost impossible to even run it in a VM.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK, Thanks for the knowledge; it will keep me from buying software that will not work.

How about Networking? I will start a new thread.
      Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Comment

Mac will support both NFS and Samba file sharing and the configurations are virtually identical.

Please Read Me

Comment

[quote=oshunluvr ]
          Mac will support both NFS and Samba file sharing and the configurations are virtually identical.
          [/quot
          Originally posted by oshunluvr
          OK Now you just went over my head; I'm not quite cross-eyed but could you please explain.

Does this have to do with software>Firmware of third party stuff like Routers ?
          Please see my somewhat confused thread about networking.
          Thx Bro.

Comment

I don't know exactly what your asking, but here are a few statement about mac-linux compatibility

There is no WINE-like app to run mac apps on linux
            Routers and Switches with Web-based configs are compatible with linux
            You can share printers between Mac & Linux
            You can use desktop sharing (VNC) between Mac & Linux
            You can share files and drives between Mac & Linux (SMB, FTP...)
            It's illegal to run MacOS X in a VM
            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

jpenguine wrote:

woah! I did not know that.

thanks

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
                MacOs SLA (Software License Agreement) prohibits running the software on other than Apple hardware, but whether such clauses are actually binding and enforceable depends on local legislation (like consumer protection legislation)

Comment

OK Thanks, back to rutebook 8)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                    MacOs SLA (Software License Agreement) prohibits running the software on other than Apple hardware, but whether such clauses are actually binding and enforceable depends on local legislation (like consumer protection legislation)
                    While not to 'nit-pick', "illegal" is not the same as "prohibited" under a EULA or SLA. It's obvious, that if one can install an OS within a VM, then doing so, if it violates the OS EULA or SLA, simply opens the user to *potential* consequences specified by the EULA or SLA, and nothing more.

The normal *at home user* who does this is highly unlikely (although the risk is not zero) to have the OS manufacturers lawyers show up at their door with an injunction, or worse, to be issued a summons to appear in court as a result of being sued by the OS manufacture.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      Originally posted by kubicle
                      While not to 'nit-pick', "illegal" is not the same as "prohibited" under a EULA or SLA. It's obvious, that if one can install an OS within a VM, then doing so, if it violates the OS EULA or SLA, simply opens the user to *potential* consequences specified by the EULA or SLA, and nothing more.

The normal *at home user* who does this is highly unlikely (although the risk is not zero) to have the OS manufacturers lawyers show up at their door with an injunction, or worse, to be issued a summons to appear in court as a result of being sued by the OS manufacture.
                      Continuing with the "nit-picking", are you perhaps mixing up the terms "illegal" and "criminal"? Civil wrongs such as "breach of contract" are in fact illegal (as in not-legal) but not crimes...and therefore only suspect to civil action as opposed to criminal prosecution.

That doesn't change the fact that not all contract clauses are binding and enforceable (depending on other [local] legislation), and not abiding by such clauses is not a "breach of contract" (and not illegal).

Comment

i'll agree to that point.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm learning a lot here, glad I started the thread; great information 8)

Comment

Working...
                          X