This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice: Installation & Partitioning

Hey there, I'm hoping that somebody would be willing to give me some advice.

I first installed kubuntu a few weeks ago when I realized that my main hard drive was about to die. I've played with it while waiting for the drive to officially crash and burn - it's under warranty, and seagate's tool didn't want to give me a code at first. Well, I use two drives. One, a 500gb drive is the 'main' one. It was purchased when window 7 came out because the install would be a good time to swap hard drives (I wanted a clean install, not an upgrade from Vista). The original drive (250gb) has been used for storage ever since, mostly for music, ebooks, work files and other documents. Naturally, it had some free space and I partitioned it off for kubuntu in order to use my computer in the meantime and to let me make some backups without (theoretically) stressing the dying drive as much.

Well. Seatools finally coughed up a warranty validation code, and I now have the replacement hard drive. Only I'm wondering how to set things up now because I'd like to keep kubuntu installed. I like it better for pretty much everything other than certain games.

Should I keep the two operating systems on separate hard drives, or should I return the older (smaller and slower) one to it's original purpose as storage and make windows and linux share the primary drive? If I do that, what would be the best way to transfer the current installation over? I mean, I had to jump through some rather irritating hoops to get internet access and sound working, not to mention getting other things tweaked and set up as I like them. Would a partition image be best? Or should I do a fresh install of both operating systems and use a backup to restore settings and installed packages? Or is it even possible to back those things up? Also: would restoring grub work after installing windows if it isn't the same hard drive? I mean, the replacement is the same make and model... but not the same drive that was there when kubuntu was first installed alongside windows.

I'm ashamed to say that I didn't plan on keeping Kubuntu around so I gave it a pretty tiny partition (but also so I had more room for backing up the main drive without wasting a bunch of blank DVDs). I need to move it eventually, or at least resize it (or maybe move 'home' to somewhere else). And resizing runs the risk of screwing things up (which brings me back to jumping through hoops).

I was thinking.... 50GB each for windows and linux, 3GB for linux's swap partition, 100mb for grub, whatever windows wants for system reserved.. and the rest for games and misc windows software. Sound good? Or should I tweak it somehow?

Re: Advice: Installation & Partitioning

There are quite a few questions in there -- I'll try to help.

The kubuntu installation alone would probably not be too difficult to "dd" over to another hard drive, but considering how sensitive Windows is to your hardware configuration, probably that one won't work so well. I would say the path of lowest risk/highest confidence is just to reinstall both of them, Windows first.

Kubuntu alone can be happy on a 8GB partition, but if you ever download DVD images or videos or stuff like that, you'll need more, unless you've very disciplined about pointing your downloads at a different partition. With hard drive space costing 6.5 cents per GB today, I typically use 20GB or so for the OS, and then keep my "permanent" data on a separate partition that is only for data. And then I symlink my data folders into my user's home folder.

The swap partition size recommendation is highly dependent on what kind of tasks you want to do with the computer. 2GB is plenty for typical "home and office" work. If you're into video encoding or big graphics jobs, you might want to go up to 2.5x your memory.

You do not need to make special allowance for space for Grub, as its configuration files are embedded in the Linux filesystem, in /boot/grub and /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d.

As far as whether to use separate drives, with an OS on each one -- that's kind of a philosophical question, IMHO. On the downside, you have double the risk of a drive crash taking out an OS. On the upside, you have no risk that a single drive crash will take out both your OSs. But, grub will only be on one hard drive, so you're still left with the possibility of a single drive crash rendering your system unbootable, even if there happened to be a "spare" OS on the remaining drive. So, pick your poison. Personally I keep my 25 years' of accumulated data on the best drive(s) I have, and my OSs, which are easily replaced, get what's left.

I hope that helps.

Comment

At a similar junction myself in regards to dual booting Kubuntu and Win XP and partitioning the disks.

Currently I use Ubuntu 11.04 on a 320GB disk: 32GB for Win XP, 20GB unallocated, 32GB Ubuntu root(/), 80GB /home, 10GB swap, 146GB unallocated; in that order on the disk (screenshot attached) I also have 3 other 1TB data disks: 2 in RAID-1, 3rd as NTFS version of data (for use when booted to windows).

I'm thinking of starting again and hopefully settling on a structure that will keep me happy for at least 18 months - current setup is 7 months old. I'm also switching to Kubuntu as I'm getting very tired of Unity. Will be using the machine for standard home user image and video manipulation.
      So in order of allocation on the disk i'm proposing:
      10GB - swap : heard its better to have swap at start of disk for performance reasons?
      32GB - / : putting Kubuntu here on disk as will be using this 90% of time
      100GB - /home
      50GB - Win XP
      128GB - future use to test other linux flavours maybe

Anyone any suggestions or tips?
      Can I put swap in the primary partition and all else under an extended partition or will XP require a primary partition?
      Maybe I need to put my XP at the end of the disk in a primary partition and all else before it - will find out in due course anyhow
      My motivation for changing is performance and order - currently partitions all over the place

All the best.
      Attached Files

Comment

Dibl - Thanks for your advice, a second opinion was exactly what I needed.

Originally posted by dibl
        And then I symlink my data folders into my user's home folder.
        That especially was helpful and gave this linux noob another idea for how to do things. So much to learn, not enough free time lol.

Thanks again for listening to my rambles!

Comment

My 2 cents:

With two drives, keep windows installed to one drive and then grub to the other. Notice I said grub, not linux. Linux doesn't care where it's installed. Boot to the grub drive normally, but if somethings goes wrong, you'll at least be able to still boot to windows. If you're a bit more advance user, I'd say install grub to both drives, but make a backup of the windows Master Boot Record.

If you're using a separate /home (and you should be), you'll likely never fill 20Gb with Kubuntu. 12GB is a very fill install and 8GB is closer to normal. It can be done in 2.

Swap: Modern drives (sata) translate sector locations so where you put swap no longer matters because the idea you actually control where it goes is an illusion. BTW, 10GB is way more swap than you'll ever need unless you're doing massive math or encoding 3-4 videos at once. Swap is mainly used for two things: to replace memory space in the event you fill RAM to capacity and to mirror RAM when you hibernate/suspend. On a desktop configuration, suspend/hibernate is not usually used so you need only enough to cover RAM. If you have 8GB RAM, unlikely you'll fill it. Another, but less common use for swap is to replace /tmp. If you have sufficient RAM (8GB or more) you can mount tmpfs as a combination of RAM and SWAP space - but thats's another advanced topic.

Xp will still want to be a primary partition and near the "front" of the drive space. No matter, because everything else (linux) won't care where it is.

If you're looking for performance from linux and you have 4 hard drives - explore the use of linux software RAID0. Easy to setup and use, reliable, and blazingly fast - start another thread though, and we'll chat

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X