X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building stuff on Kubuntu

Hi, all.

I have a new 64 bit build of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS. I am having HUGE problems building stuff. As far as I can tell, I have gcc and binutils installed.

Last night I tried to build Wine only to be told that i didn't have the 32 bit development libraries installed. And they would be? Did I get nice list of package names to install, preferably with versions too? No!

Tonight I tried to build Mangler, only to be told "C++ compiler cannot create executables".

I am NOT impressed.

I don't like installing packages I probably won't need, but right now I'm prepared to install every possible dev package on the planet if it would get this to work. But I don't even know what they are.

Please could someone give me a list of packages to install.

Thankyou.

---

P.s. on the subject of unnecessary packages, Microsoft got a slap on the wrist for binding I.E. too tightly into Windows. Well there are a ton of social networking programs I would LOVE to uninstall from my system, such as that uBlog that appears when you log on for the first time, but all such packages either have a dependancy from KDE or aren't listed anywhere I can find in the software manager. On a previous XUbuntu system I built, I had no CD-ROM drive of any sort, but I couldn't uninstall the CD burning software. Duh! I think the people putting these Ubuntu distributions need to learn the difference between applications and OS components. CD burning software isn't an OS component - a desktop system is. Applications may have a dependency on an OS, but an OS, and OS components, never should have a dependency on an application! right now I think the people who make desktop systems are worse than Microsoft.

Re: Building stuff on Kubuntu

do you have "build-essential" installed?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by JontomXire
      Tonight I tried to build Mangler, only to be told "C++ compiler cannot create executables".
      You probably don't have 'g++' installed (the gcc c++ compiler), installing 'build-essential' metapackage (like vinnywright suggested) should install the key tools for building.

Finding the right -dev packages to install for building can be tricky sometimes (on any distribution) but this page gives a few options howto check (and install) build-depends for software that is available from ubuntu repos, for example:
      Code:
      apt-get -s build-dep wine1.3
      ("simulate" to get a list of build-depends for wine1.3)
      Code:
      sudo apt-get build-dep wine1.3
      (install wine1.3 build-depends)

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll try installing build-essential.

I did install g++ after I got the message when building Mangler, but when I tried "./configure" again I got exactly the same error. >

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll try installing build-essential.

I did install g++ after I got the message when building Mangler, but when I tried "./configure" again I got exactly the same error. >
          If installing build-essential won't solve the issue, can you post the full output of the configure script.

Comment

Please forgive my ignorance.

Why are you building Wine instead of just installing it from Repository?

(Maybe you just want the experience of building an app?
            Maybe you want the newest version? Any advantage in that?)
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

With the version of Wine that comes with Kubuntu 10.0.4 LTS, World of Warcraft runs REALLY badly. On another thread I was advised to try newer graphics drives and also to try the latest Wine.

If I remember correctly, the version of Wine in the PPA was one version older than the source code. So I wanted to build it myself.

But I would like to be building it myself. I'm a professional software engineer, so if I need to fix a problem or try a performance enhancing patch, I can.

Currently the performance is barely adequate. I only use Wine for World of Warcraft, so if I get bored some time I may see if I can optimise WoW performance by cutting out large chunks of Wine.

I really need to be able to build Mangler as there is no package for it. I did see some really old binaries, but they're packaged as a .deb and i don't know how to install one of those and can't be bothered to find out.

Comment

Thank you .
                a .deb and i don't know how to install one of those
                You download the .deb and (RIGHT click on it) open with "Gdebi".

WOW is supposed to be installable through the app called "PlayOnLinux"
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
                  Thank you .
                  a .deb and i don't know how to install one of those
                  You download the .deb and (RIGHT click on it) open with "Gdebi".

WOW is supposed to be installable through the app called "PlayOnLinux"
                  From the "PlayOnLinux" website:

PlayOnLinux is based on Wine
                  Occasional performance decrease (image may be less fluid and graphics less detailed)
                  So in other words it's just Wine with a bit of a front-end/idiot interface and suffers from exactly the same graphics/performance problems that I'm seeing with my Wine install.

====================

In other news: Thanks guys - "build-essential" is exactl;y what I needed. After that I just kept running ./configure and installing whatever library it whinged about until eventually Mangler built. Then I installed it.

Then, when I tried to run Mangler, it complained that it couldn't link to a shared library because it didn't exist. The thing is that he shared file DID exist, and was readable, and was a library that had been built and installed as part of building and installing Mangler.

I don't know what that's about, but I may need to use that tool (can't remember what it's called atm) to modify the library path in the binary. It may be because I did "make" and then "make install" and so it's looking for the library in the build output directory rather than /usr/local/lib, but that's very unusual.

Comment

With the version of Wine that comes with Kubuntu 10.0.4 LTS, World of Warcraft runs REALLY badly. On another thread I was advised to try newer graphics drives and also to try the latest Wine.
                    Running the LTS releases (like 10.04) has it's perks, but they're often not the best choice for developers or people who want the latest software versions. For example, the soon-to-be-released 11.10 has the latest stable wine 1.2.3 (and mangler 1.2.2) installable straight from the repos.

Comment

Working...
                    X