X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to use sudo apt??

sorry for posting this but i need help!!!!! >

I am trying to add ubuntu tweak and medibuntu...

and from looking around various forums and websites... I have found out that this is only possible through the command/shell/konsole thing.

Now, everytime i type in the code for above mentioned software and press enter i get a message on the konsole asking for a password, however, it wont let me type anything onto this line.

for example :-
    mushtaq@ubuntu:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:taulatrix/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
    [sudo] password for mushtaq:

Sorry, try again.
    Sorry, try again.
    sudo: 2 incorrect password attempts

The incorrect password messages pop up when i press enter...

Is there something obvious that I am doing wrong??

any help will be appreciated.

Iky

p.s. the bold italics are what I have copied and pasted from my komand screen

Re: how to use sudo apt??

the password prompt does not show any chars that you input there is no mask char (*) so it will always appear blank.. type in your password hit enter.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
      the password prompt does not show any chars that you input there is no mask char (*) so it will always appear blank.. type in your password hit enter.
      Sorry i don't know what char is??

And I am trying to type my password in but it doesn't let me. Infact, when it prompts me for the password, it does not let me do anything at all!!

cheers

Iky

Comment

mushtaq@ubuntu:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:taulatrix/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak
        This won't work, you need to either do the commands one at a time like this:

mushtaq@ubuntu:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:taulatrix/ppa
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

or separate them with && like this:

mushtaq@ubuntu:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:taulatrix/ppa && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

When you are prompted to enter your password, the line with your password will remain blank, even while you are typing it. You type the password you chose when you set up your system, and then press the ENTER key. Then the command will run.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

@doctordruidphd thank you for your advice.

I do still have a couple of questions in-regards to this subject.... (please excuse my stupidity)

Q1.

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
          This won't work, you need to either do the commands one at a time like this:

mushtaq@ubuntu:~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:taulatrix/ppa
          sudo apt-get update

How do you do the commands one at a time?? sounds dumb but i cant figure that out.

Q2. once you have typed in the command and hit enter... where does the system load the software onto? i.e. does it use the software manager? synaptic manager? or does it load it straight to your computer?

The reason i am asking this is because when I tried to load ubuntu tweak the konsole said there was some errors, but didn't mention what?? and i cant find ubuntu tweak on my computer.

thanks

iky

Comment

Q-1 just like he showed you.......type
            Code:
            sudo add-apt-repository ppa:taulatrix/ppa
            and press enter............this will add the taulatrix/ppa to your /etc/apt/sources.list .......this is the list of places you computer gets packages (applications)from.

then
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            and press enter .........this reads/updates the sources.list

then
            Code:
            and press enter......this will install the ubuntu-tweak package.

Q-2 whether you use apt-get , synaptic or Kpackagekit the package is downloaded to/var/cache/apt/archives and then installed to the system as per the package .....

I dont use ubuntu-tweak so I cant help you their.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
              Q-1 just like he showed you.......type
              Code:
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:taulatrix/ppa
              and press enter............this will add the taulatrix/ppa to your /etc/apt/sources.list .......this is the list of places you computer gets packages (applications)from.

then
              Code:
              sudo apt-get update
              and press enter .........this reads/updates the sources.list

then
              Code:
              and press enter......this will install the ubuntu-tweak package.

Q-2 whether you use apt-get , synaptic or Kpackagekit the package is downloaded to/var/cache/apt/archives and then installed to the system as per the package .....

I dont use ubuntu-tweak so I cant help you their.

VINNY
              Excellent!!!

Thank you very much..

Iky

Comment

To find out what files a package loads onto your system:

dpkg-query -L packagename

This will display the list of files a package has installed. This can be a VERY long list. It will also tell you right away if a package is not installed:

You can get more detailed information on a package using:

apt-cache search packagename

If you are having trouble installing the ubuntu-tweak package, please post the output of

and we'll try to help.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
                X