This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb question

Hello all, im new to linux. Just joined yesterday out of curiosity.

I have downloaded ununtu 11.04 via wubi onto my laptop and then also managed to install kde onit aswell.

At the moment... Kubuntu seems like an easy system to use. For me its like a smartfone set up... I.e. If you want new apps or software then you go to the software or package manager. Alot like the app store!!

Today i thought i would join a forum to help with queries for the future, and came accross usefull links for the newbie...

I am totaly confused now.... And here come the stupid dumb questions...

After all the reading im still not 100% sure what the purpose of a 'shell' is?? And why i need it if i can click onto files anyways?? Is it so that for the computer literate its easier to access and carry out tasks??

What 'apt'? Is that a shell? Is it the package or software manager?? Do i need to use that for updates and new software?? Or can i use the actual icons (package/software manager)

Sorry for the stupid question guys.. I am that new to computers. Lol!! I think i just about understand the difference between package and software manager. But not 100% on that either.

It sounds like i should hav just stayed with windows... But i do enjoy the simple click and install thingy on kubuntu. I just dont get :- shell, command, apt, sudo etc...

Iky

Re: Dumb question

Just to add to the rambling above:- what i am actualy trying to get out of the question is this -

Can i just use kubuntu by using the windows rather than using - shell, apt, sudo, command etc....?

I am mostly going to use my computer for internet, downloading music, tv, movies and watching them.

And office uses. i.e. Word, excell etc.

Cheers

Iky

Comment

First, there is NO SUCH THING as a dumb question

Have a look at "An Introduction to the Linux Command Line" - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/an-intr...-command-line/

Some times, but not a lot, you have to use it. If you want to watch movies the best way is to add the Medibuntu repository and get libdvdcss2 - http://medibuntu.org/repository.php

Word? Excel? They are Microsoft Windows programs and not Linux programs. It would be better to use e.g. LibreOffice instead
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester
        First, there is NO SUCH THING as a dumb question

Have a look at "An Introduction to the Linux Command Line" - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/an-intr...-command-line/

Some times, but not a lot, you have to use it. If you want to watch movies the best way is to add the Medibuntu repository and get libdvdcss2 - http://medibuntu.org/repository.php

Word? Excel? They are Microsoft Windows programs and not Linux programs. It would be better to use e.g. LibreOfficeinstead
        Thanks for your advice. Yeah i meant libre office. Just used the wrong terminology. Soz!!

Iky

Comment

If you want to watch movies the best way is to add the Medibuntu repository and get libdvdcss2 - http://medibuntu.org/repository.php
          Hi, Just tried to add medibuntu using the link you gave but my command line said there were errors with it!!

Anyone else had any issues downloading medibuntu?

Also, can you copy and paste the commands? or do you have to type them in manually?

cheers

Iky

Comment

copy and paste this in the terminal and press enter
            Code:
            sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
            dou you get errors ....if yes post them (copy and paste) hear...........if no then do this one.

Code:
            sudo apt-get install app-install-data-medibuntu apport-hooks-medibuntu
            now if still no errors

do this

Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2
            if errors post them.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Tip:

You do not need to type commands into the Terminal or even Copy and Paste.

Highlight the command written on the web page.

Move your cursor anywhere in the Terminal and press your mouse wheel or mouse middle button.

Automatic Copy and paste! No spelling mistakes! No Typos! No other errors!

(On a laptop I think you can click the left and right pad buttons at the same time.)
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Tip:

You do not need to type commands into the Terminal or even Copy and Paste.

Highlight the command written on the web page.

Move your cursor anywhere in the Terminal and press your mouse wheel or mouse middle button.

Automatic Copy and paste! No spelling mistakes! No Typos! No other errors!

(On a laptop I think you can click the left and right pad buttons at the same time.)
                yes this is true & yes clicking both pad buttons at the same time dose it as well ......but it can be tricky .

and of course theirs always highlight ctrl>c click ware you want the text ctrl>v .........with ctrl>x being cut instead of copy!

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Iky316
                  I am totaly confused now.... And here come the stupid dumb questions...
                  No, there are no stupid questions.

After all the reading im still not 100% sure what the purpose of a 'shell' is?? And why i need it if i can click onto files anyways?? Is it so that for the computer literate its easier to access and carry out tasks??

What 'apt'? Is that a shell? Is it the package or software manager?? Do i need to use that for updates and new software?? Or can i use the actual icons (package/software manager)
                  Since you're new to Linux, my advice would be to stick with its GUI tools. You can do virtually everything you need to do without ever seeing a command line. (And this is coming from a person who started on UNIX when there was no such thing as a GUI. I *LOVE* the command line, but modern Linux distributions, like Kubuntu, make it possible for people who don't know anything about using the OS from a command line to do everything they need via GUI.)

For installing new software, yes, you can use apt-get at a command line, but I'd recommend using Synaptic. It gives you instant, visual access to thousands of programs and desktop enhancements, all just a click away.

It sounds like i should hav just stayed with windows...
                  Why?!
                  Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
                  X