X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Win7 Ult on dual-boot sys hosed everything

Greetings all,

Have a 64-bit system on which I first installed V10.04, followed by Win7 Ultimate64 in its own partition. I configured the system for dual-boot service of course.

Both OSes boot, but I am no longer able to boot from a live CD once Win7 was installed. It makes no difference that I went into the BIOS and promoted the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device. Makes no difference that Autoplay is enabled in Win7. Nothing I've attempted to date has worked once the very and unsurprisingly intrusive Win7 was installed. <flame> I rue the day I did it. Dinosaurs and gazelles clearly don't get along very well and where is that bloody monster asteroid when you need one? </flame>

I'm completely at a loss as to what to do next, short of s**tcanning the hard drive and starting fresh. At this point I don't even trust either OS's ability to thoroughly wipe the hard drive in an effort to exorcise the M$ demon.

What to do?
    CPU: AMD-64 dual-core, 2.8 GHz, 4 GiB RAM, <br />Kubuntu: V11.04<br />Kubuntu User: Noob V1.04<br />KDE 4.6.2<br />Dolphin V1.6.1<br />Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200

Re: Installing Win7 Ult on dual-boot sys hosed everything

It is a lot easier to install the Windows 7 partition first before the Linux partition. If you installed Windows 7 after, then you may have killed GRUB (the linux bootloader that lets you select your OS). You may still have both partitions there, but you are going to need to be able to boot into the boot cd to find out. If your CD drive is first in the list of boot devices in your System BIOS, try another boot disc of any sort to test your cd-rom's boot from cd capabilities.

Comment

Wow, I never heard of the monster of Redmond FUBAR'ing a computers ability to boot a live disk. You could try making a thumb drive startup disk.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by smeghead67
        Wow, I never heard of the monster of Redmond FUBAR'ing a computers ability to boot a live disk. You could try making a thumb drive startup disk.

Ted
        I believe M$ term for it is 'Progress'
        CPU: AMD-64 dual-core, 2.8 GHz, 4 GiB RAM, <br />Kubuntu: V11.04<br />Kubuntu User: Noob V1.04<br />KDE 4.6.2<br />Dolphin V1.6.1<br />Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200

Comment

let me ask a Q hear........will the box boot your win7 disk ?
          &
          dose your Kubuntu cd boot on a different box?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by smeghead67

Ted
            Thanks, Ted. I'll give that a try if all else fails. I was able to upgrade to 11.04 from the command line. Win7 is still installed of course as Kubuntu is obviously far more polite than The Redmond Albatross.

Tex

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
              &

VINNY
              Hi Vinny. I'd try booting on a different box, but the different box is a Mac Mini. Sigh.

Tex

Comment

Originally posted by Tex Pepper
                Originally posted by vinnywright
                &

VINNY
                Hi Vinny. I'd try booting on a different box, but the different box is a Mac Mini. Sigh.

Tex
                & the other half of the question ..............dose the win7 disk boot in the box in question?

and yes if your box will boot a USB device (older boxes do not) try a liveusb .

you can easily make 1 with the startup disk creator in Kickoff>applications>system

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X