This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wicd Manager - Not Obtaining IP address

I've seen some forums on here related to this but none of them have helped solve my problem nor really clarify my problem.

I am trying to connect to my wireless at home.
    After trying to find my passphrase, I gave up and terminal'ed my passphrase.
    So after twenty minutes of pointlessly getting my passphrase,
    WICD won't work.

I put in the passphrase, click connect.
    It authorizes then says 'Obtaining IP address..."
    Then jumps to,
    "Not Connected."

I've tried all advanced preferences.
    I've checked to see if Wlan0 is up and it is.

I just don't know what to do.

HELP please before I destroy my computer.

Re: Wicd Manager - Not Obtaining IP address

Hi and welcome to the forum

The most likely problem is that you haven't completely removed all the elements of network-manager, which will cause a conflict.

In your package manager type network-mana and search. Remove anything reported to be installed. Reboot and wicd should work properly.

HTH

Comment

I typed that in the search engine in Add/Remove Applications but the only things that came up that are semi-related to the network manager is:

wireshark
      etherape.

? So if that's not causing the problem then, what is?

Comment

You need to be in the package manager and not add/remove. There is a subtle difference.

applications/system/package manager

When the application opens type

Code:
        package-manager
        in the search field. Even though you have removed network-manager there will probably still be a couple of packages installed that are associated with it. network-manager-pptp is one example. Importantly before you remove an application ensure the term networkmanager is in the description. There may be 2 or 3 you remove. Once done, wicd should work.

Comment

Well I just went into the synaptic package manager and I don't have a single program with 'networkall manager' installed. I searched thru everything. I'm at loss.

Comment

Aplogies for the earlier (incorrect) answer- I must have been distracted at the time.

The term to look for is network-manager . You need to uninstall all installed packages that either include that term in their title, or have a reference to it in their description. Synaptic is the perfect program in which to do that.

Comment

Working...
            X