X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 11.04 Wireless Crashes

Hello Everyone,

I have updated my Kubuntu to version 11.04 recently. Every time now I connect to wireless it crashes , sometimes instantly and sometimes a bit later after it has started. When I am connected to LAN all is fine. Please advice me on what to do. My laptop is HP Pavilion DV6 2155ee.

Thanks

Re: Kubuntu 11.04 Wireless Crashes

The make and model isn't enough, and even if I googled it there is no guarantee that the wifi chip is the same in all of that make and model. So, in a Konsole issue

lspci | grep Network

and report back what is output.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43224 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 01)

Comment

Ah, Jockey probably tried to install firmware-b43--installer instead of firmware-b43-lpphy-installer.

What you need to do is plug your computer into your wireless router via a short Ethernet cable to an Ethernet port in the back of your wireless. It should generate an Internet connection automatically.

Then, first, uninstall "firmware-b43-installer" and then install "firmware-b43-lpphy-installer". Then reboot.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

After i uninstall and install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer I get:

End of the error looks like this:

Unpacking b43-fwcutter (from .../b43-fwcutter_1%3a013-3_i386.deb) ...
          Selecting previously deselected package firmware-b43-lpphy-installer.
          Unpacking firmware-b43-lpphy-installer (from .../firmware-b43-lpphy-installer_4.174.64.19-5_all.deb) ...
          Processing triggers for man-db ...
          Setting up b43-fwcutter (1:013-3) ...
          Setting up firmware-b43-lpphy-installer (4.174.64.19-5) ...
          Not supported card here (PCI id 14e4:4353)!
          Use proper b43 or b43legacy firmware.
          Aborting.
          dpkg: error processing firmware-b43-lpphy-installer (--configure):
          subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
          Errors were encountered while processing:
          firmware-b43-lpphy-installer
          E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

It seems that the card is not supported..

Comment

mmm... You could uninstall "firmware-b43-lpphy-installer" and try its predecessor, "firmware-b43-installer" instead. They both install the b43-fwcutter, which extracts the BIOS from the chip itself and then uses it to connect, but the lpphy is the latest version. Perhaps the older one will work.

But, in the past, for most BCM43 wireless chips all one needed to do was
            sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
            and it would do everything necessary to get the chip working.

Comment

I believe 11.04 has buggy wireless software. I had similar problem with 11.04, which cleared up when I went to 11.10 beta.

Comment

It's probably a good idea to go to 11.10 anyway. In another six months the 12.04 LST will be released.

Comment

Also, there is an update available for "network manager" which is new since the 11.10 beta release.

Comment

I don't keep up with KNetworkManager, which I replaced with wicd long ago. It will make a connection before KDE starts up or even when KDE is not running. There are threads on this forum about how to replace KNM with wicd. Basically, it is installing the five basic wicd apps FIRST, then uninstall ALL of the KNM and its components. Configure wicd for your wireless essid and password. Then, either reboot or restart the network.

Comment

Working...
                    X